Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm curious how many times tiderider is gonna post the same reference picture in this thread...

+1
    I've never changes them, running a older 215 block, stage 3+, 80+ mph, et 137 +4 SC 8650 ECU, never had a problem related to the oil nozzles.

3. +1 by:

You will not have any problem with the older spry nozzle . For sure the newest ones are better but the older works even in a tuned engine .

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by jetplane View Post
    You will not have any problem with the older spry nozzle . For sure the newest ones are better but the older works even in a tuned engine .
    Itís a lot of work so Iím just leaving it be. Itís in a boat and not like iím jumping waves in and out of the water or gunning it like a ski where the throttle and RPMís fluctuate abruptly by a lot so I guess Iíll be fine.

Thanks everyone, and still the nozzle info is welcome because i didn't know about it before this thread.

7. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Joey_E View Post
    It’s a lot of work so I’m just leaving it be. It’s in a boat and not like i’m jumping waves in and out of the water or gunning it like a ski where the throttle and RPM’s fluctuate abruptly by a lot so I guess I’ll be fine.

Thanks everyone, and still the nozzle info is welcome because i didn't know about it before this thread.

Joey_E

Great work, nice to see another C180, especially an SP180 modded. I see 52-54 with good water/ air temps, on glass with a 127ET, Fizzle F1000, 42# injectors and 4" Kanaflex, 14/19 +1, 1/4 tank of gas.

Porpoising is an issue on this body as there is no trim....I was thinking about trying a +2 degree pump wedge to decrease the amount of the V underneath water line. ( large limiting factor )

Don't worry about the oil squirters, the angle of the stream was probably changed increase the efficiency of oil spreading across the back side of the piston head during the stroke. This controls detonation, by not letting the piston get hot enough to ignite the compressed mixture (or worse!) and cooling the backside being fed from an oversized oil pump.

The major engine damage they speak of is a clearance issue if you interchange the parts, because the are nearly the same, other than the angle (speaks to this in the document as well...) see pic.

That is a TSB so someone doesn't smoke a motor on a rebuild because the wrong squirters would be interference, I see no indication of a higher volume of oil just different spray angle.

Forums are great and help a lot, but the info is not always backed up with a good understanding of some of the concepts.

The fact that we have oil squirters in either, is a great indicator that it is indeed built for higher boost.

Keep us posted on the mods...

Newer 2008+ (left) Older 2007- (right)

Great animation illustrating the design
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 4.20.35 PM.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	451538  
    Last edited by Tehota; 07-30-2019 at 07:13 PM.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brent View Post
    I'm curious how many times tiderider is gonna post the same reference picture in this thread...
    One more time... LOL

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nozzle.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	451547  

11. +1 by:

Nice, LOL indeed

+1
    Enlighten me, wtf is "
    C180, especially an SP180 modded. I see 52-54 with good water/ air temps}

14. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    Enlighten me, wtf is "
    C180, especially an SP180 modded. I see 52-54 with good water/ air temps}
    Not sure about enlightening you, but the answer is pretty self explanatory

The thread started about Joey_E modding a Challenger 180

The SP180 is a semi-rare version of it. Scarab uses/used the same mold for their boats.

52-54 are max GPS speeds late Sept last year in my C180

Air and water temps were aprox 68 and 70 if I remember correctly.

Summer I could not break 51, and I question the one 54 I did get.

52-53 were repeatable in Sept, that is fast for this chassis.

I forgot elevation is about 30ft nominal for these.

TJ

16. +1 by:

Thanks everyone, here are some videos of the rest of my mods.

1. Catch can and no filter then goes to side vent so I don't get that gas smell in the engine compartment. 3" cold air intake from same side vent (unfinished) but still testing if good enough or 4" is significantly better. The intake setup I have now get's loud right behind the driver's seat like someone is using a shop vac behind me but maybe I'll get used to it, still two rides old. Dual batteries for 2-3 hours music when beaching with voltage/percent display on the dash (the green top one doesn't video well but it's fine)

2. Automatic battery selector switch, wiring, stereo and amplifier setup. Dash switch up - all speakers inside ON (one 10"sub, four 6"), tower speaker is OFF. Dash switch down - two 6" tower speakers and the inside 10" sub is ON (all speakers except inside sub OFF).

3. My easy access fire extinguisher using PVC pipe as holder. I don't want to panic and forget where it is when I need it, lol.

4. Custom decal 260hp using my circuit vinyl cutter and adobe illustrator. Blue and orange car wrap to replace the old messed up decals and going 2.5 seasons now and its holding great except for some minor dock scuffing. Added one cleat right in the middle front because I hated that the boat was never straight backed up on a beach and blasting my music on the people beside us on the beach instead. Flag holder right on the tower for easier access.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information