2002 Virage txi battery/solenoid issue... perhaps

What's up guys, I have a 02 Virage txi D.I., low hours. Was out riding today and the ski was running great. On the way back in, it shut down after hitting some rough water. Tried starting it back up... nothing. I could hear under the seat some muffled cranks, but then went silent. Had to get towed back. When I got it out of the water I tried to start it. Nothing but clicks coming from the solenoid. I replaced this solenoid last year. Would that have shut the ski down it that went bad mid-ride? I was riding at about 13.5 volts, occasionally saw 14.2. When I was starting it, I noticed it would go down to 9 sometimes 8.5 volts. Maybe it was too much on battery?? Don't know.. when I got it home, my battery charger said the battery was 12.5 and 93% charged. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I will start with the solenoid, since that is the cheapest and easiest place to start... thanks guys

+1
    If you remove the spark plugs can you grab the PTO coupler and spin the engine by hand? If not either your engine or jet pump is locked up.

+1
    It wouldn't have died, while running, as a result of a solenoid failure. I'd be checking things like the ground cables (battery and harness) connection at the engine block.

Your charging voltages are normal.

Battery state of charge or a battey failure would also not have an impact on dying while running.

Hey, yes I removed the plugs and they were dry. Took the shroud off and I was able to freely turn the PTO coupler

@martincom...will look into those tomorrow. I didn't think that solenoid failure would shut it down either..I'm wondering by the constant pounding, something came loose.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris02 View Post
    @martincom...will look into those tomorrow. I didn't think that solenoid failure would shut it down either..I'm wondering by the constant pounding, something came loose.
    Also check the circuit breakers on top of the battery box and check the fuses. They are located in the two junction connectors by the battery.

Ok, it's been a while since I posted anything regarding the issue I've described. I took it back out in the driveway today and started screwing around with it. Recap, I hit the start stop and just get clicking at the battery box. Bilge does not work. Today I kept pushing the start stop and eventually it went from clicking to cranking..made me happy! The cranking seemed to not be as strong as I normally remember..there was no spark so engine never got going. At one point with no lanyard, I pushed the start stop button and it cranked continuously and would not stop. Pressed the button, nothing, eventually it gave a burning smell and I quickly disconnected the battery. That obviously shut it down .

I have read some other old posts about the start stop module going bad..since the bilge doesn't work when pressing that button either. Could it be the LR-503? Any thoughts... thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris02 View Post
    Ok, it's been a while since I posted anything regarding the issue I've described. I took it back out in the driveway today and started screwing around with it. Recap, I hit the start stop and just get clicking at the battery box. Bilge does not work. Today I kept pushing the start stop and eventually it went from clicking to cranking..made me happy! The cranking seemed to not be as strong as I normally remember..there was no spark so engine never got going. At one point with no lanyard, I pushed the start stop button and it cranked continuously and would not stop. Pressed the button, nothing, eventually it gave a burning smell and I quickly disconnected the battery. That obviously shut it down .

I have read some other old posts about the start stop module going bad..since the bilge doesn't work when pressing that button either. Could it be the LR-503? Any thoughts... thanks
    There may be multiple problems occurring, not just one.

If the start solenoid is factory original It should be replaced. They are known to corrode internally and cause continuous cranking. The upgraded new parts are much better.

The LR-503 module could also be failing. Bypass it until you solve all other engine start and stop problems.

Bilge pump should run when Bilge button is pressed, regardless of LR module working, failed or disconnected. Pump fuse may be blown, pump may have failed, or there is a wiring problem

9. +1 by:

Thread Information