PTO oil pump wear 1503 215 SCIC

My Scavenger/suction oil pump housing is were I found a lot of metal debris and requires replacement. No saving it. However the PTO side pump cover has a modest amount of wear or very slight grooving from debris. I'm wondering how 'robust' these pumps are? Hoping to not have to buy a PTO cover..

Despite the very poor condition of the Scavenger pump, the rest of the engine shows no signs of oil starvation

Comments from anyone that might have replaced pumps before in similar condition?

Hey there, know this is from last year but what was end result? I’m just getting ready to tear into mine after finding a crushed filter with shavings in it. Did you have to replace housings etc? Also did you have to pull motor or can you do in boat!

thanks Rick

Did the thing..

Quote Originally Posted by 04pacman View Post
    Hey there, know this is from last year but what was end result? Iím just getting ready to tear into mine after finding a crushed filter with shavings in it. Did you have to replace housings etc? Also did you have to pull motor or can you do in boat!

thanks Rick
    Hi Rick,

Yeah, I found SuperCharger parts through both front and rear oil pumps. The pump housing were scored so I ended up replacing the front pump housing with a referb and the rear (stator) cover I found a good used one on the west coast. Replaced both pump assemblies with new.

I pulled the whole engine, as I brought the boat with blow SC and knew of no other work done to it. There's not a lot of room but it could be done if I had to do it over again. Wouldn't recommend it thought for metal health. Turned out the oil filters did a good job at not allowing bits to travel internally. I didn't find any other engine damage, but went on to get the bores honed, journals polished and replaced all the bearing and rings. Top end was fine. But the Aluminum machined housings of the pumps paid the price. That said I'd want to Flush the engine real good no mater what and watch like a hawk was comes out.

As a teen I was an apprentice with Suzuki Motorcycles back in the 70's. I was apprehensive at first doing a complete tear down, but turned out not been so bad. I'm pulling the kids around the lake with her now so it was worth it. Just remember, everything on those engines if you split cases or remove the head uses 'Stretch bolts' so you can't re-use them. So be ready to add that to your budget. Same with the Stator bolts (though they are cheap).

I still have charging light on, a Stator phase issue I think as the 3 wire connector was gone and just soldered wires together when I got her. I have to check that they might be crossed causing an out of phase syn-wave.

Good luck and feel free to ping me if you have questions.. And watch all the 3ft Deep videos. Great help on this forum as well.

Thread Information