Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

1997 1100STX Lost Spark All Three Cylinders

Was out riding yesterday, all was well and then out of the blue, my ski cut out at top speed like someone pulled the kill switch. After towing home I found that all three cylinders had no spark.

Now, im going to be checking out the resistance on the ignitor (ouch, these are expensive) as these seem to be the point to check when all three cylinders lose spark, but I wanted to check to see if other STX experts had tips for other things to check. I haven't re-checked compression in a bit, but as i said, the engine was running as strong as ever yesterday with no signs of low compression.

Can the kill switch go bad and still allow thr engine to crank? If i hit the stop button while cranking, it stops cranking FWIW.

I'm having a hard time stomaching a $500 part for this ski, even though it's in great shape for its age, so im hopeful that i can find this issue somewhere else.

+1
    Lord knows that I've had hell with the STX 1100 electrical systems! Had trouble with the start switch, the kill switch, the orange switch, corrosion on the contacts of the ignitor, as well as a broken solder joint inside the fuse block. Kawasaki harness connectors are known to get water in them, causing corrosion. I just found one two weeks ago that's been acting up for a while.

I doubt that your ignitor is bad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Lord knows that I've had hell with the STX 1100 electrical systems! Had trouble with the start switch, the kill switch, the orange switch, corrosion on the contacts of the ignitor, as well as a broken solder joint inside the fuse block. Kawasaki harness connectors are known to get water in them, causing corrosion. I just found one two weeks ago that's been acting up for a while.

I doubt that your ignitor is bad.
    What exactly was corroded on your ignitor? The plugs in the box? I havent had a chance to troubleshoot cause its been storming in the NE. Im gonna be testing the stator tonight and then going from there. Will also be pulling the kill switch apart to make sure nothing is corroded, but thr fact that the motor lost spark on all 3 cylinders at once (and abruptly at that) has be questioning the cause. I was on smooth water cruising at full speed and almost ended up in the water from the intense cut out. I havent had any issues recently so I can't see losing ALL stator power at once, but who knows.

+1
    The connector for the harness is what corroded on my ignitor. Easy fix, but surprising because the box was clean inside. I was also surprised that the '98 and '99 boxes were not interchangeable. (I see you have a '97).

+1
    The connector for the harness is what corroded on my ignitor. Easy fix, but surprising because the box was clean inside. I was also surprised that the '98 and '99 boxes were not interchangeable. (I see you have a '97).
    My box is def not clean. This poor ski was borderline sank a few times before it became mine and fixed the thru-hull. The gauge also claims 350 hours, so I dont trust much of OEM partd at this point. I tested the stator last night and all is well within limits. Start /stop switch also checked out.

I have a replacement ebox on its way to me that is super clean. Mine is not in the best shape. If I end up not needing it, the market is high for these parts so im sure I can recoup my money. I didnt have time to dig further into the box last night due to more rain. I'll report back when I get it running with the cause and fix.

+1
    The box on my 1100 was so bad when I got it, one of the tabs on the rectifier was actually corroded off along with a wiring fiasco. Box was a mess. Had to rebuild the harness in the box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14184297_1103110759726430_2790574933133915468_n.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	451307  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodsatheart View Post
    The box on my 1100 was so bad when I got it, one of the tabs on the rectifier was actually corroded off along with a wiring fiasco. Box was a mess. Had to rebuild the harness in the box.
    Oh man that one looks rough. I might be able to salvage my box still, but well see. With a short riding season in the North East id rather have the spare box here as to not waste any other time. If I end up needing to sell the one, I know theres a market for them so I'm not worried about recouping my money.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodsatheart View Post
    I'll see ya, and I'll raise you 10!

Oh, yea, I cleaned it up, replaced most of the connectors and the starter relay, and it's worked ever since!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ignition Box.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	451348  

+1

Oh, yea, I cleaned it up, replaced most of the connectors and the starter relay, and it's worked ever since!
    LMAO !!! It's amazing what I find getting these used ski's. They had cut and connected wires together and wrapped with tape, I guess trying to fix a no start issue. Replacing the plastic nuts and sealing the box back up makes such a big difference. Of course, not sinking the ski helps too.

+1

So back to square one. New ebox in (great condition, no corrosion). No spark still. Confirmed kill switch is good to go (pulled all apart and checked). Stator is testing right out with all values in range.

What else can allow the engine to crank, but not spark? Could I have a flywheel issue? I caught a spot in the manual which talks about the magnets going bad? I'm very close to pulling the motor out so that I can check the stator and flywheel area , but I'm not sure what else I should check at this point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information