Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Low Injector Voltage

Hello,
    First time posting on the forums.

I have a 2002 MSX 140 that I bought a couple of years ago. At the end of the summer last year the Polaris started giving some issues the first in died on the water of would not restart, so I went home and replaced the spark plugs with brand Ngk plugs and it restarted and ran fine outside of the water. When I went back out to the lake it ran fine for about an hour or two and then it started dying again and had a hell of time turning back on but ran long enough to put it back on the trailer. Went home and started to mess with it and end up finding that I was having low injector voltage. At that point it was the end of the summer so I just left it parked. Jump to this year and wanted to get it running for the summer. Went ahead and tested the voltage again and was getting around 17 vdc with all injectors plugged in. After I tested the stator and was getting high resistance, so went ahead and pulled the engine to replace the stator with a brand new SBT stator. Put it all back to together but no go. This time I was getting 18.9vdc at the injectors almost enough to fire the injectors. After I got into contact with lakeside tech to have the emm shipped and repaired but after a week lakeside got back to me saying that the emm benched test fine and was working as it should. At this point I had no idea what to do. Out of desperation I bought another stator but this time a used oem one. Pulled the engine out again threw it in and installed the engine but again 17.9 vdc at the Injectors. If I squirt fuel down the barrels it will fire right up but dies almost right away and I cant get a reading of the injectors while itís running .As of now I have no idea what to do and am out of ideas and was hoping maybe someone here can provide some insight on what to do next.

Here are the number from the stators just in case.

1st stator
    didnt write down the numbers but had resistance with 17 vdc at the injectors.

2nd SBT stator
    1 & 12 1.2 ohms and 9.2 vac
    2 & 11 1.1 ohms and 10 vac
    3 & 10 0.9 ohms and 6.7 vac
    4 & 9 0.8 ohms and 6.7 vac
    5 & 8 0.9 ohms and 6.6 vac
    18.9 vdc at the injectors

3rd stator oem used
    1 & 12 .3 ohms and 7 vac
    2 & 11 .3 ohms and 7 vac
    3 & 10 .4 ohms and 5 vac
    4 & 9 .5 ohms and 5 vac
    5 & 8 .6 ohms and 4 vac
    17.9 vdc at the injectors

+1
    I'm wondering if you have something pulling down the 21/45 VDC line (white/red wire). I'd disconnect the EMM and then place an ohm meter between the white/red wire and ground. Next, I'd disconnect all the injectors, ignition coils and anything else powered from the 21/45 VDC line. Does the resistance read open? If not, what is pulling it low?

Next, I'd reconnect the filter capacitor. Once charged, the line should again read open.

Following that, I'd reconnect each injector, one at a time. Is the resistance reading nearly the same for each injector? If one is substantially lower than the other, why?

I'd do the same with the ignition coils.

+1
    Check fuel pressure?

+1
    I'm thinking that 18-19VDC should be sufficient to allow it to start, and the fact that it doesn't stay running is also a clue. So I agree, time to be looking at fuel supply as a factor. Do you have the supply line connected to the bottom ports on the injectors?

Well good call on it being a fueling issue. Rented a fuel pressure tester and was testing at 25 psi while starting. Went to let the pressure out of the line and took a whiff of the fuel which didn’t really smell like fuel. Went on to keep pushing fuel out and it was all old fuel mixed with a ton of water. Completely drain the fuel tank plus used the fuel pump to push out the last bit of it. Put some fresh fuel and damn thing started right up and idle just fine without any fuel down the barrels. Restarted a couple time and all good now. Still can’t believe that it turned out to be just old fuel mixed with water. Will test this weekend and hopefully I can put this nightmare behind me .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26D46E30-0BDF-4111-B188-526C0ED078C6.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	451234  

+1
    Wow, great that you found it! (Another win for Lakeside Tech diagnostics, ruling out the EMM as an issue )

downunder123
    +1
    I make sure my fuel in never more than two months old. Even so few times I've had problems with the "fresh" fuel. Ficht engines are sensitive on bad fuel. I always use the highest octane fuel (98 down here).

+1
    Awesome , nice to always find the problem

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal91 View Post
    ... pushing fuel out and it was all old fuel mixed with a ton of water.

Completely drain the fuel tank plus used the fuel pump to push out the last bit of it.
    The fuel pump by itself cannot completely drain the fuel tank. Since water lays under the fuel in the tank, there may still be a water blob laying in the bottom of the fuel tank.

Also, if there is any water in the fuel it will quickly degrade gasoline that has ethanol blended in. Phase separation is not something you want in ethanol blended gasoline.

The OEM Polaris pleated outer fuel filter is supposed to be a water rejecting material, gasoline flows through and water is not supposed to. If it was my machine I would be inspecting all the filters (there are several) in the fuel pump assembly.

And extracting any remaining water from the bottom of the fuel tank. If there is any dirt in there it should also be cleaned out.

okay Iíll go ahead and pull the fuel pump out to make sure sure the tank is free of water and debris. Quick question though once I have the fuel pump out you said check the filters but on the fuel injection diagram I only see the one filter, the round one on the bottom that separates the fuel from the water but the manual is saying that it is not serviceable. Is that true ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information