+1

2007 FX HO needs engine

A few years back I experienced freeze damage to the ski. The block cracked externally and was putting water in the hull. Still ran fine. Now I have water in the oil. I'm guessing the block finally gave on the inside as well. SBT engine plus professional install.....$4200-$4700. Just looking for some opinions, I know it's going to be a personal decision, need vs use vs want....Should I fix it, part it out or sell outright? What's it worth? Ski is in great condition otherwise. Thanks.

+1
    I've been looking for an engine for my 2006 FX-HO for a while now. I'm kinda in the same boat with a really good hull and an engine that threw a rod and has a bad block. Truth for me is that the ski is maybe worth $4,500-$5,000 running (I'm in the midwest). I love the hull and the ski and hope to fix it.

As you mentioned, SBT engines are $4,200-$4,700. Through my research at least, I've heard SBT engines/blocks aren't very good and often don't last long. For that reason I don't want to fix mine with an SBT rebuild. I've been searching for an engine, wrecked ski or running ski at a good price and haven't found one yet (been searching much of this summer). I've had a tough time because the MR-1 HO 160hp engine wasn't in that many different skis/boats. I've it's just the lower end, you might be able to find the short block for a more reasonable price (I again would avoid SBT, personally). Labor would likely increase with just the short block.

It's a touch decision because newer skis with more reliable engines can likely be found for $6-8,000.

+1
    Looks like you're sitting on my ski. We love this hull and a new ski is outrageous. I also have a Seadoo RXT 215, but like the Yamaha much better.

+1
    SBT (cloned MR1) engines are very weak. I went through 3 in a row over a 6 month span, all failed for different reasons. Warranty works like a curse. I simply got tired of engine-swapping !!! Sure, I could have kept swapping as they kept honoring the no-questions warranty - yet I wanted to remain a married man, so I found a slightly used genuine Yamaha engine, and did one last swap. Knock knock - still going strong. BTW, I found a 1.8L na, not a mr1.

+1
    You can buy a clean used FXHO for about the same price as the repair.

+1
    I picked one up cheap a while back and pieced it together on the cheap. You just need a competant machinist. Check it out here...http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=258561

Almost ready to drop it in!!!!

Thread Information