Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

2019 vxr top speed

Hey guys, i just want to get an idea if im getting the proper speed on my 19 vxr, it seems a bit slow to me. So im topping out at about 60mph @7000rpm with trim in middle in calm water. My old 12 vxs would do 72mph all day long and knew the 19s were a little slower ( 65ish), ive done the break in procedure in the owners manual and im at about 5hrs now. What are you guys getting for speed wise on a stock machine?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave123 View Post
    Hey guys, i just want to get an idea if im getting the proper speed on my 19 vxr, it seems a bit slow to me. So im topping out at about 60mph @7000rpm with trim in middle in calm water. My old 12 vxs would do 72mph all day long and knew the 19s were a little slower ( 65ish), ive done the break in procedure in the owners manual and im at about 5hrs now. What are you guys getting for speed wise on a stock machine?
    My vxr runs 63 on gps

+1
    Guess im not too far off lol. Was going to try and adjust the throttle lever a bit but i see theyve switch to a drive by wire system now . Ill check the speed with gps and hope its just the speedo off a bit. I must have lucked out with the previous machine to get that extra speed from it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave123 View Post
    Guess im not too far off lol. Was going to try and adjust the throttle lever a bit but i see theyve switch to a drive by wire system now . Ill check the speed with gps and hope its just the speedo off a bit. I must have lucked out with the previous machine to get that extra speed from it
    If you haven't been measuring speed with a gps then you really don't have a reference. My 2013 VXR has registered a best of 67.5 on gps but the dreamometer shows around 72mph. I usually don't waste time looking at the dreamometer during high speed runs.

Get a gps and start accurately measuring speed then you'll know for sure.

+1
    Dave, I just noticed your 2012 VXS in your avatar. I think that you got rid of it. I've got the same color 2012 VXS. It runs neck and neck with my blue 2013 VXR. Phenomenal skis!

Since you've had both the old version and now the new version, tell me how much better the new is. I love top speed so I'm hesitant to give up the speed for the better handling of the new. I've heard that the Yamaha RIDE system is the bomb.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    Dave, I just noticed your 2012 VXS in your avatar. I think that you got rid of it. I've got the same color 2012 VXS. It runs neck and neck with my blue 2013 VXR. Phenomenal skis!

Since you've had both the old version and now the new version, tell me how much better the new is. I love top speed so I'm hesitant to give up the speed for the better handling of the new. I've heard that the Yamaha RIDE system is the bomb.
    Honestly lossing the 10mph isnt too bad, it definitely makes up for it in the handling department from the intake grate and ride plate, it handles and cuts into the water phenomenally. And the ride system, youve got everything at your finger tips including trim. Its great for when theres a long line to pull out for the day cause you just put the ski in neutral instead of having to half cock the reverse lever so you're not bumping into the guy infront of you. But i am loving the overall feel of the 19 vxr over the vxs and i think if i had to choice to do it all over again id chose the 19 vxr

Overland Park, KS (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Mine does ~61-62 at 7k rpm and 64-65 at ~7500 rpm. It sounds like your rpm a little low.

+1
    Thanks for your reply, Dave. Please let us know more about your ski's top speed if you can get a gps reading.

+1
    Alright so i verified my top speed at 61mph @ just a tick over 7000rpm with gps, guess it is was it is but doesnt seem to be too far off everyone else. I could always look at tuning and performance parts down the road to squeeze a little more speed out of it.

+1
    Thank you, Dave for chiming back in to this thread with a gps measured top speed.

Even though your 61mph sounds slow by 1-3mph, we don't know what kind of ride conditions you were experiencing. Did you have enough distance and smooth water to attain a complete top speed?

For example, earlier this week I was out on my 2013 VXR in a cove area of pretty smooth water. The smooth was good but the cove isn't really long enough to hold WOT and achieve a full top speed run. I only saw 64.4 on gps in the Houston heat. I've seen 67.5 in the late fall with cool temps and lots of smooth water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information