2001 Polaris SLH starting/carb issues

New to the forum, would like to first thank so many of you who have helped me solve issues on a Seadoo GTX that I also own.

So I have this 2001 Polaris SLH 700 with super low hours of 40. Got it cheap because it was sitting in a garage for for a year. Replaced all fuel lines, checked filter and on/off valves. Rebuilt carb according to the manual. My problem is that it seems to be pushing the gas back through the line instead of sucking it into the carb. All lines are connected correctly, the pulse pump is working as it should. If I hold a paper towel over the gas inlet connector on the carb, then crank, it blows air OUT. If I pull the gas line and wait a few seconds, gas starts coming out the gas line so I know there is flow.

I have taken it apart multiple times to see if I did anything wrong on the rebuild. I've rebuilt others before, not that complicated. If I drip a pre-mix into the carb, it runs fine

The only way to get the engine to react is if I completely block the top of the carb, that seems to get gas in but it stops when I remove the block.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.......thanks

+1
    Welcome to GreenHulk.
    The fuel supply hose will come from the on/off valve and attach to the LOWEST fitting on the carb. When you blow in this hose,you should hear bubbles in the fuel tank. (with gas in tank)

The highest fitting on the carb is the return, runs straight to tank,when blow into this hose should not hear bubbles.
    Return will have a restricter built into carb.

The fuel pump has one way valves/flappers that control push/pull of fuel.

The valves or flappers sound interesting

Looking at the diagram, I see the 2 check valves on the diaphragm side of the carb, they are set accordingly. Are the metal flaps the check valves on the fuel pump side? One top and one bottom.

+1
    20 years is plenty of time for someone to screw up the hoses-I'd check them first.

Latest update, checked the fuel pump check valves, seem to operate correctly. Tried blowing air into the impulse input, comes out the gas input connection. Tried sucking the same input.....nada (except a bad taste in my mouth)

Any ideas are appreciated

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MRJamesOK View Post
    Tried blowing air into the impulse input, comes out the gas input connection.
    That's wrong. The pulse will suck on the supply,then blow into the carb.
    Again-blowing into supply hose will make bubbles in the fuel tank.

Yes sir, did that. I can hear the bubbles in the tank.

Problem solved, the pulse hose was compressing. Purchased stronger lines, replaced and it starts right up. Thank you everybody for the input

Thread Information