Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

F12x Trim conversion from R12x

Hey guys

I've lurked on this board for a while finding answers to everything I've wondered about doing to my Aquatrax. I've recently decided to try to add the trim system off of the R model to my F12x. I am stumped to the route that I should run the trim cable and where the mechanism should mount that is integrated in to the trim cable inside of the hull. I've tried finding the shop manual but the only ones I can find are for my F model. I know this has been done a few times in the past but the information is very limited for the how to. If anyone is floating around with an R model that wouldnt mind posting a pic of where the mechanism mounts in their R and a general idea of how the cable is to be run (port or starboard) I would be forever grateful.

Thanks

+1
    I know it goes thru the top of the transom and im pretty sure it runs in the air intake area up with the throttle cable and into the steering tube .
    But i have to ask why ?
    Ive only ever owned r12x (6yrs ) and ive only used that trim lever 1 time where I was overloaded and needed to go faster than 15mph.
    But its really hard to pull when under power if your attempting to slide the rearend around . and ive tred locking it in and riding in heavy chop and it really numbed down the steering and acceleration so ive never touched it in 4-5yrs since

Thank you for the info sir.

Well it all started when I saw an R and D auto drop nozzle for sale. It was listed as being for an F12x. After it arrived I speculate it has to be for an R model, the extra ring for the trim being required to mount it (vertical holes on my jet pump nozzle vs horizontal like on the R ). It didnt come with instructions or a box and R and D closed their doors. So I ordered a conversion kit to try to make it work. And now what I thought would be a cheap easy upgrade has turned in to a not so cheap not so easy upgrade haha. And I dont think i could just change the nozzle i think the auto drop requires the cable out of the transom to hold it until a turn is made.

Also saw in your sig you have some exhaust upgrades? Do you have the straight pipe kit? How do you like it?

+1
    I built my own for this r12x I currently own . my previous r12x I purchased one from h2o extremes it was built well but it was $$$ and very heavy (made with 304ss 1/8"wall )
    (Mine was made with 307ss but 16g) had a shop make the flange for me to weld too
    I love it . it did give it 100rpm but tue sound is really nice tho their is a drone (deep echo)from 2500-3500rpm thats annowingly loud but ive learned to just ride outside of that range lol

Well at this point i have everything done the best I know how. i still dont have the mechanism mounted in line of the trim cable, its currently resting between the gas tank and styrofoam area in the hull with some zipties until i figure out what to do with it. I plan on creating a writeup with some of the info and pictures I have collected along the way once I verify that everything is working well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190727_154911.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	451401  

little teaser pic just to see if I understand how to attach these pics correctly

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190727_154720.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	451402

I really wanted to do this before I sold my F12x. Nice job on the install

well, I actually took it out on the lake today, ran around a bit, adjusted the nozzle pitch some, ran some more, and at the end of the day, i had thrown the stock nozzle back on. It was kinda less than i expected out of it.

the ski didnt shoot straight up in the air like it does with the f nozzle. I was able to hold it down with my hand under full acceleration then let the nozzle go up once it started to plane out. Maybe i expected too much, maybe im just used to the way it handled stock. but after about 300 bucks and maybe 15 hours of slowly making my way through the project, I really dont know if it was worth it besides the "bling/look what I did factor". Maybe the trim does a little more on the slightly lighter/shorter R model if it even is. Seemed to me on the top end the ski struggled to hit top speed.no matter how i adjusted it. (on GPS, I know it will vary with trim angle on speedo)

My next plan is to

1 GPS top speed with stock nozzle. I know what it usually runs but to make it as scientific to daily conditions as possible

2 Use a framing square on the nozzle and measure down.

3 Put the R nozzle back on and fine tune it to measure as close to same nozzle angle as stock angle position

4 GPS and see if Im able to obtain same speed.

If this is successful I will continue the project. As much as i adjusted the nozzle pointing up I felt like it still plowed the nose into the water upon take off. Even in the "up" position. My jet was blowing bubbles pretty close to surface and still didnt seem to launch the same. Also I wonder if I had the mechanism bolted down firm it might act different. I can feel it moving the nozzle for sure while cruising

Sorry for the lengthy post. Just giving updates on my experience with this project

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue7t6 View Post
    well, I actually took it out on the lake today, ran around a bit, adjusted the nozzle pitch some, ran some more, and at the end of the day, i had thrown the stock nozzle back on. It was kinda less than i expected out of it.

the ski didnt shoot straight up in the air like it does with the f nozzle. I was able to hold it down with my hand under full acceleration then let the nozzle go up once it started to plane out. Maybe i expected too much, maybe im just used to the way it handled stock. but after about 300 bucks and maybe 15 hours of slowly making my way through the project, I really dont know if it was worth it besides the "bling/look what I did factor". Maybe the trim does a little more on the slightly lighter/shorter R model if it even is. Seemed to me on the top end the ski struggled to hit top speed.no matter how i adjusted it. (on GPS, I know it will vary with trim angle on speedo)

My next plan is to

1 GPS top speed with stock nozzle. I know what it usually runs but to make it as scientific to daily conditions as possible

2 Use a framing square on the nozzle and measure down.

3 Put the R nozzle back on and fine tune it to measure as close to same nozzle angle as stock angle position

4 GPS and see if Im able to obtain same speed.

If this is successful I will continue the project. As much as i adjusted the nozzle pointing up I felt like it still plowed the nose into the water upon take off. Even in the "up" position. My jet was blowing bubbles pretty close to surface and still didnt seem to launch the same. Also I wonder if I had the mechanism bolted down firm it might act different. I can feel it moving the nozzle for sure while cruising

Sorry for the lengthy post. Just giving updates on my experience with this project

Did you try it in any chop?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information