Any Gp1800r problems?

So possibly reading in my vx ho for a gp1800r. Was wondering if the new gp1800 has any known problems. Was reading a lot of threads about supercharger problems but those were threads from 2017. As far as I know it’s the same platform except the intake grate and ride plate.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The 2019 GP1800R is a solid machine. The significant known issues from 2016 onwards were fairly minor*, correctable, and have been addressed in the 2019 model.

And the 2019 GP1800R has the better ride plate and intake grate, from the factory.

Certainly there are tweaks and aftermarket performance improvements possible, but for an out-of-the-box watercraft the GP1800R is pretty darn good.

Our 2017 GR1800 (we have two) are coming up on 200 hours each. No issues.

* The exception is the 2017-2018 intake grate hull inserts, for which reinforcement is highly recommended. Well documented in multiple threads on here. Once reinforced, no further trouble.

The 2019 GP1800R has this hull area reinforced from the factory, and I have not seen any reports of trouble with the 2019 intake grate inserts.
    Last edited by K447; 07-19-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The 2019 GP1800R is a solid machine. The significant known issues from 2016 onwards were fairly minor*, correctable, and have been addressed in the 2019 model.

And the 2019 GP1800R has the better ride plate and intake grate, from the factory.

Certainly there are tweaks and aftermarket performance improvements possible, but for an out-of-the-box watercraft the GP1800R is pretty darn good.

Our 2017 GR1800 (we have two) are coming up on 200 hours each. No issues.

* The exception is the 2017-2018 intake grate hull inserts, for which reinforcement is highly recommended. Well documented in multiple threads on here. Once reinforced, no further trouble.
    awesome thanks for the info. I may eventually do minor mods to it. I was thinking fizzle with bov kit, power filter, ribbon delete and stage one tune. Any thing you would suggest to get or to stay away from?

4. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanedo09 View Post
    ... I may eventually do minor mods to it. I was thinking fizzle with bov kit, power filter, ribbon delete and stage one tune.

Anything you would suggest to get or to stay away from?
    Removing the ‘ribbon’ flame arrestor disc from the plastic manifold (2018 onwards SVHO) it is unclear (to me) whether there is an actual performance gain to be had, even with a Stage 1 tune.

Pay attention to the details with the MaptunerX tunes. Stage 1, Stage 1 Low Octane, and Stage 1 PLUS are different tunes.

My understanding is that the basic Stage 1 tunes are only for (SVHO) engines with all the stock air intake equipment. When you change/upgrade the air intake then you are looking at Stage 1 Plus tunes.

Also check which octane gasoline you will have available on the water, should you want/need to refuel while out riding. The Stage 1 Low Octane tune expects 91 octane fuel, the other expects 93/94 octane.

+1
    Removing the ‘ribbon’ flame arrestor disc from the plastic manifold (2018 onwards SVHO) it is unclear (to me) whether there is an actual performance gain to be had, even with a Stage 1 tune.

Pay attention to the details with the MaptunerX tunes. Stage 1, Stage 1 Low Octane, and Stage 1 PLUS are different tunes.

My understanding is that the basic Stage 1 tunes are only for (SVHO) engines with all the stock air intake equipment. When you change/upgrade the air intake then you are looking at Stage 1 Plus tunes.

Also check which octane gasoline you will have available on the water, should you want/need to refuel while out riding. The Stage 1 Low Octane tune expects 91 octane fuel, the other expects 93/94 octane.
    Those are really good points that a lot of people don't seem to pay attention to, specifically the minor differences but important on the tunes.

very good points glad you brought that up. Because I’d think with stage 1 you’d need certain mods to help it maintain afr readings. Another thing is will Riva keep stock rev limiter on a stage 1 tune if asked?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanedo09 View Post
    very good points glad you brought that up. Because I’d think with stage 1 you’d need certain mods to help it maintain afr readings.

Another thing is will Riva keep stock rev limiter on a stage 1 tune if asked?
    I was pointing out that (my understanding) is that straight up Stage 1 is for a machine with essentially ZERO modifications to the engine airflow.

The MaptunerX Stage 1 PLUS tune requires/expects the supporting engine modifications (aftermarket air intake stuff, basically)

You can request an ‘8000 limit’ on the Riva tunes, which is supposed to prevent the ECU from logging ‘suspicious’ RPM above the stock tune range.

Keep in mind that the tune does not itself control the actual RPM when riding fast on the water. The match between engine power and selected impeller determines what RPM the engine will turn at wide open full speed.

The electronic RPM limit in the tune is to control the peak RPM when the jet pump is out of the water, such as going over waves. If you install a tune that boosts actual engine power, then the impeller (pitch) must be changed to hold the RPM down (if you want to stay under that 8000 level).

OR you allow the engine (and impeller) to rev higher than 8000, thereby harnessing the higher engine power to produce more thrust by forcing the impeller to process more water.

In short, if you use a tune to add power, either the impeller must change or the maximum allowed RPM must increase. Or both.

+1
    @K447 I installed the 13/18 prop and lost about 1/2 to 1/4 mph. The midrange hit with the new prop was worth the expense, the GP is really quick in the midrange with the 13/18 prop. I removed the manifold and took out the butt plug ribbon and got my top end back. I think the ribbon delete is only going to help if your spinning the motor in excess of the factory 7700 rev limit...I have the Maptuner-x and am turning a modest 8160 rpm in the Texas heat....fyi

+1
    19 GP 1800R here. Intake fizzle 1000 intercooler ribbon delete thru Hull. 13/20 prop and stage 1 agr atr best run 82.5. In 80 degree weather. Consistent. 81+.

Thread Information