Why have extra ground

Somebody know why from 2018 the 1630 engine (300) have extra ground on the coil?

I know that from 2018 they replace Spark plugs from KR9C-G to KR9E-G but like was replaced for all 300 now we have to use KR9E-G so I dont know if have relation

Thank you guys!

+1
    If you think about the over all design of the head cover it is isolated from ground completely, it Sits on a rubber gasket and all the screws that hold it in place have rubber bushings so there is no ground going to the coils , for some good reason they have added it , I donít see them adding more wires and spending more money just for looks am sure itís got a reason.

+1
    more power delivered required a stronger ground.

Quote Originally Posted by DR2006RXP View Post
    If you think about the over all design of the head cover it is isolated from ground completely, it Sits on a rubber gasket and all the screws that hold it in place have rubber bushings so there is no ground going to the coils , for some good reason they have added it , I don’t see them adding more wires and spending more money just for looks am sure it’s got a reason.
    Ough you are right i didn't think about that so right now I have more curiosity

Maybe is to have ground in the head cover In boats metal fuel tanks have a ground to prevent if some residual voltage have cause a fire...

Quote Originally Posted by DR2006RXP View Post
    If you think about the over all design of the head cover it is isolated from ground completely, it Sits on a rubber gasket and all the screws that hold it in place have rubber bushings so there is no ground going to the coils , for some good reason they have added it , I donít see them adding more wires and spending more money just for looks am sure itís got a reason.

Maybe is to have ground in the head cover In boats metal fuel tanks have a ground to prevent if some residual voltage have cause a fire...

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTe View Post

Maybe is to have ground in the head cover

In boats metal fuel tanks have a ground to prevent if some residual voltage have cause a fire...
    The general principle is for every metal thing to be bonded to everything else. Bonded meaning electrically connected. Often separate wires are used specifically for the bonding.

Bonding is done for multiple reasons. Sometimes to prevent a voltage differential from causing a spark, sometimes to limit galvanic corrosion, sometimes to ensure safety, with no possible electric shock between different metal parts.

Boats can have a ground, meaning a metal area that is directly exposed to sea water. But even without a Ďgroundí you still want the metal parts to be bonded together.

Thread Information