Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

2003 Genesis i - Could use some help

Hello all, I am finally getting around to working on my 2003 Genesis i that I recently acquired. Looking for a little help centering myself before I jump right in and try to fire it up.

I still have all of my old links to the Polaris PWC Knowledge Guide, but I could use a "quick start" primer on what I should be looking for. Previous experience with the old 650 and a Virage so I am not utterly clueless, but it has been a good 7 years since I owned those so I am a bit rusty.

The person I got this from said towards the end he had to tap the EMM with hammer to get it to start and then it ran fine (I know, I rolled my eyes too). I am guessing that means cold solder joints in the EMM, so I do intend to send it to Lakeside for repair. It looks like someone took a claw to it to scrape off the protective covering, so I am sure that didn't help either.

With that said, I bought a new AGM battery and everything else looks complete. I am leery to proceed without someone second-guessing me on what else I should check before I try to turn it over.

Thanks!

Cain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49012500_10157017049928656_1036185234099404800_n.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	454024  
    Last edited by tenjuna; 09-22-2019 at 10:39 AM.

+1
    Start by cranking it over with the spark plugs out and the stator unplugged from the EMM, in case the crankcase has excessive oil in it (protect your eyes, and maybe put rags over the spark plug openings. ). Then check compression. Then put the plugs back in, plug in the stator to the EMM, and see if it starts. If it won't start after 5-10 secs of cranking, STOP and start to investigate why (injector volts, fuel pressure, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    Start by cranking it over with the spark plugs out and the stator unplugged from the EMM, in case the crankcase has excessive oil in it (protect your eyes, and maybe put rags over the spark plug openings. ). Then check compression. Then put the plugs back in, plug in the stator to the EMM, and see if it starts. If it won't start after 5-10 secs of cranking, STOP and start to investigate why (injector volts, fuel pressure, etc)
    Thank you sir...this all may be moot if the EMM is down it won't turn over anyway, but I wanted to make sure I followed correct steps. I will be sending this to you Saturday if all else fails.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tenjuna View Post
    The person I got this from said towards the end he had to tap the EMM with hammer to get it to start and then it ran fine (I know, I rolled my eyes too).
    Back in the 80's, GM had issues with bad solder joints in their Powertrain Control Modules. To test, It was suggested to "tap"the PCM with a rubber mallet.
    When I mentally picture a "tap test", I see a caveman with a giant mallet swinging at a persons new car computer...LOL

Being a smart ass, when mechanics couldn't figure out a problem , I would ask if they tried to hit it with a hammer.....LOL Previous owner may have been a GM dealer mechanic.

By the way, which of these 3 cables is the stator plug? I have been searching around but the information isn't obvious to me.

+1
    The stator is the 12 pin connector, with 10 wires in it.

The stator is the 12 pin connector, with 10 wires in it.
    Spent some time on the beast yesterday, and I did get it to burble a bit which I thought was pretty good news. Could just be that it hasn't been started in forever, but I would like to send the EMM in to you, it needs some TLC anyway and I am sure is likely the center of it not running.

+1
    PM sent.

Ok, so EMM did end up needing repair. I have checked compression, tightened all fittings, replaced oil and fuel, new battery, new seat covers, replaced the trailer wiring and jack stand, and new spark plugs are going in. Craft is registered and ready to fly otherwise.

Can anyone think of anything else I should check before I take her out this weekend (assuming I get the EMM back by then)?

edit: nevermind, I answered my own question

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information