Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Potentially totaled 2018 vx cruiser ho

So, some idiot in a boat not paying attention ran into my ski on Sunday. Whatís worse is DEEP sided with him and actually somehow cited me for the incident while this guy got nothing. But thatís all besides the point at the moment. I need to know and gather some opinions about the ski. Hereís the damage..
    hole in the hull, hole in the deck, another part of the deck is damaged, storage compartment lid, left side mirror, left switches on handlebar, steering column is loose, and when the handlebars are straight, the jet nozzle is pointed off to the right.

Progressive came by and gave me and estimate for everytging but whatever is going on with the steering column/jet nozzle. cost to replace plastics and fiberglass is estimated 6k. She said itís worth 9800 with the trailer, so 7-8k is the magic number. Sickening. Paid almost 12 for it OTD last April. If itís totaled Iíll be losing my ass, still owe about 6200. Thereís this place called quality boat repair in Wolcott ct that does top notch fiberglass work from what I hear. The mechanics I might need to take else where, If they even let me fix it. Iím pretty good with cars but never worked on watercraft.

Thoughts on my situation ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	575CD46E-B309-4FE6-8BFF-5297C460917C.jpg 
Views:	730 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	451085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9803A177-1CDB-4904-95A5-919FF847EAAC.jpg 
Views:	727 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	451086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EEED0FD5-9C29-47C0-9F2C-7492EBE7E92B.jpg 
Views:	724 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	451087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	386E7C34-E6D4-4AAF-A5CF-A6377BCB4EF6.jpg 
Views:	705 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	451088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1D70265C-642A-4EFB-9415-0CEE62CC94FC.jpg 
Views:	712 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	451089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	680F298F-B1A0-4166-9999-A144924DB4C2.jpg 
Views:	713 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	451090  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5190F5EC-CD4B-4114-95C0-DE6FEDB80DC7.jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	451091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2C65E546-46D3-4D85-9B4B-0DCA13333B1B.jpg 
Views:	714 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	451092  

+1
    Wow. The DEEEP have no clue or know any boating regulations or laws whatsoever. I used to hang out on Lake Zoar. I have seen the DEEEP boat actually hit another boat and damage it. The DEEEP boat driver blamed it on the other boat. Other boat was not moving. It was a circus. I used to get pulled over all the time on my Blown Big block chevy jet boat. I told them they cannot issue a summons and they are not cops and to go away. They tried getting me for speeding, noise and recklessness. I was floating at the sandbar when they tried doing this. I asked them if they actually saw me doing this and if they have a read out on their radar. He then says I am over the decibel limit at idle. I asked to see the decibel meter. They could not produce either one. Told them to stop harassing me and remove the drunk people driving boats. The sandbar is a popular spot for excessive drinking. I don't drink. Sorry to hear your issue. Hope it turns out better in the long run. Do you have witnesses. I would contact the CT State Police as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TJS0712F View Post
    Wow. The DEEEP have no clue or know any boating regulations or laws whatsoever. I used to hang out on Lake Zoar. I have seen the DEEEP boat actually hit another boat and damage it. The DEEEP boat driver blamed it on the other boat. Other boat was not moving. It was a circus. I used to get pulled over all the time on my Blown Big block chevy jet boat. I told them they cannot issue a summons and they are not cops and to go away. They tried getting me for speeding, noise and recklessness. I was floating at the sandbar when they tried doing this. I asked them if they actually saw me doing this and if they have a read out on their radar. He then says I am over the decibel limit at idle. I asked to see the decibel meter. They could not produce either one. Told them to stop harassing me and remove the drunk people driving boats. The sandbar is a popular spot for excessive drinking. I don't drink. Sorry to hear your issue. Hope it turns out better in the long run. Do you have witnesses. I would contact the CT State Police as well.
    Iím going to contact DEEP and ask for a copy of fhe other witness statements. The other witnesses are my gf who was on another ski, his granddaughter who was on a tube and his wife who was supposed to be the spotter. Iím really curious as to what kind of crap this guy filled his statement with. The spotter should have no statement if she was doing her job and the granddaughter shouldnít really have been able to see anything seeing as how sheís behind a boat. This whole thing seems far from over.

if it comes down to it, and its allowed, get the settlement and buy the ski back. Fix it yourself. Keep rocking. Give that guy the finger with both hands if you ever see him on the water again.

+1
    Boating laws are pretty clear. If two vessels are approaching each other at an angle, the vessel on the right is the stand-on vessel, and the other is the give-way vessel. If it was a T-bone, the damage clearly indicates that you were on the right, the stand-on vessel, and obligated to maintain course and speed while the other vessel yielded the right-of-way.

On the other hand, if you were overtaking the other vessel, you are required to yield the right-of-way. Boats towing tubes tend to drive erratically, but you would still be at fault if he turned into you as you were attempting to pass.

I avoid riding/boating on the weekends... too many clueless boaters on the water. I'll either stay on land or ride very early or very late to avoid the crowds. And whenever I ride, I steer far away from anyone else on the water.

As for your ski, it looks like a lot of damage. The crack by the steering column leads me to believe that the force of the impact may have caused a lot of hidden damage or stress fractures that will become visible over time. You'll spend a lot of the insurance settlement getting it repaired, and it may never be right again. It might be a better bet to accept the loss and invest the money in another ski. If you can keep your ski, you'd probably be able to re-coup a lot of money from the parts, and make up the difference between the settlement and the cost of a new ski.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    find an attorney and take them to small claims court IF you can PROVE the guy that hit you was in the wrong. a diagram showing the event would be helpful here

you suit is for the salvage payment less what you paid so you try to get them for enough cash that you take a loss of around $1000 and count yourself lucky you weren't badly hurt

the cost of sales tax and title isn't in play here. retail looks like $11000 salvage is $8k so you go after DEEEP for 2-3k then part the ski out to make up the difference.

A properly presented case ( assuming the facts are in your favor) will get paid, people hate litigation and a 2-3k settlement would be considered a nuisance payment

get witness statements NOW and make a FOIA request for accident records involving that boat and its operator. Perhaps he's a careless asshat that\s had other incidents. That makes them quicker to pay.

If you win, we'll talk about what charity you'll donate $100 to for this advice.

7. +1 by:

Found why the steering column is loose

as you can see there is a clean break about 10-12 inches wide where the steering column bolts too.

I am going to seek an attorney’s advice on the matter. At the end of the day I feel the guy owes me a new ski. As for charities, I’m all for anything that assists veterans ����.

And i I know I can get at least four people who either saw it happen or observed his careless boating habits earlier in the day. I feel I would have a strong case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C5D360FB-DB00-470E-A279-61BEAEA41508.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	451172  

+1
    A) glad you’re ok;
    B) you obviously wanna MOVE FAST on this (FOIA requests can sometimes plod along depending upon the bureaucracy; and,
    C) I’m originally from liberal sh*t-hole know as The People’s Republik of Marylandstan and I didn’t think another state could have a more jacked up collision response but, your description of DEEP makes MD Dept Natl Resources (DNR) Police look like the US Secret Service, man. Damn ....

Glad you’re okay!

10. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    find an attorney and take them to small claims court IF you can PROVE the guy that hit you was in the wrong. a diagram showing the event would be helpful .
    Your may have mis-spoke but you don't need an attorney for small claims court. Also, what would you sue DEEP for? They have no fault or damage. They are just incident reporters.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    right, it was some idiot in the boat getting sued, DEEP looked at what they had and determined it was not his fault, somehow.

The gathered the facts and evaluated to situation. They are party to the decision by the OP's insurance company regarding the claim

Its the OP's contention that Deep made a mistake, that makes them liable for at least part of the settlement

What if they had sided with him and claimed the othger guy was at fault, would the insurance company then gone after the other guys insurance for a full product replacement?

In regards to the lawyer. You get one shot at small claims court so you want to make it a kill shot. No mistakes, no inadmissible statements or paperwork

Consulting an attorney regarding how to present your case is key to getting the court allowed max. Its a couple of hundred well spent.

In some jurisdictions the small claims court limit is 5k, so for a bigger settlement you'll need civil court, and an attorney.

The lawyer can also help you put together your FOIA request so it cannot be dismissed for being, as they like to say "too broad"

don't ask how I know all this shizz....

disclaimer: I am not an attorney, even though the local judge might think I am, as he tends to treat me like one when I get hauled into court over some BS.

and around here, people haul you into small claims for all sorts of bs. Being a weekend town, they expect you not to show up so they can win by default.

I learned an awful lot about small claims courts when I was in the towing business, in a long ago life, in a place, far far away.

If the OP can get the right materials and witnesses, progressives attorneys will make this all easy since they are highly motivated to figure out how to blame this on the "other guy" and not have to pay out anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information