15F salt water in engine bay

My machine sprung a leak at one of the oil cooler lines on the ocean. By the time I got back to the ramp the hull contained water above the motor mounts. Basically the alternator case where the drive shaft exits was immersed. The engine runs fine still and was flushed as was the hull interior. I replaced both oil cooler lines but plan to do all the 12mm X 18mm cooling lines as a precaution. 1/2"ID X 3/4"OD SAE 30R9 fits perfectly. The oil system is not contaminated as I got back to the ramp in time. I also found the bailer inlet foot was partially plugged so fixed that too.

My only concern is with how water tight the alternator plug is. The rubber plug with exiting wires is in place and not torn but I suspect it is intended for splashing and not water immersion.

I have seen Seadoos flooded to this level with no adverse long term effects-but this is not a Seadoo. I have one question. Anyone have actual experience with this one specific detail regarding the alternator plug and short term water submersion?

TY
    Last edited by rotortiller; 07-19-2019 at 11:12 AM. Reason: spelling

+1
    It should be pretty water tight. Not only the rubber plugs around the wires, but there is an o-ring that seals the mating surface.

This has happened to me on more than one 12F/15F; the stock cooling lines are thin and stress on an older hose can cause a tear. It's happened to me on the front oil cooler and the cooling lines and the rear lines that go into the stator housing.

-Greg

+1
    So, have you ordered an electric bilge pump yet?

Changed about 18 feet of cooling line so far and will do the stator housing later next week along with the intake manifold hose in the winter. Brother and I were talking about electric bilge pumps, just not sure how to approach it, wire it in on a switch, maybe something with a float switch, or maybe pack something portable? Maybe plumb something into the bailer line for simplicity? Brothers Seadoo almost sunk two years ago when a motor mount went and shifted the shaft seal alignment. Kinda wish the sucker sunk so I would be forced to upgrade into something newer.LOL

+1
    If you ever open the seat to find the hull full of water, open the drain holes in the back of the ski then run like hull. The water will drain pretty quickly out the drain holds. Pretty counterintuitive, I know.

-Greg

Thread Information