Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2008 15F top end engine noise

My 15F has ran, and still is running, flawlessly minus the hot start issue that recently started rearing its ugly head. It currently has about 110 hours on it and was checked over last fall while getting winterized.

Anyway, I recently did the intake mod and put the filter in the rear storage bucket. Obviously, the intake noise is noticeably louder but the other day I noticed a slight ticking in what appeared to be the top end of the engine. I could hear it slightly with the seats on and idling, but when I took the seats off I could hear it plain as day. I know what valve train issues sound like in my Camaro, but not sure if this noise is something to be concerned with on the 15F.

So, is it a coincidence this happened after the intake mod? It has ran well for 5 hours with the new intake. Maybe I just didn't notice the noise before?

Oil level is fine and only has maybe 10 hours on the fresh oil change. I just changed the plugs as well and everything was torqued to spec and I used anti-seize.

I plan on hooking it up to the hose tonight and getting a video of the noise (if I can and if it's still making it).

I did not have the valve clearance checked/adjusted yet but could this be something I need to have done ASAP? I understand a little noise is no problem, and this may be just that, but I put it back on the trailer after hearing it on the water the other day.

Once again, it still runs perfect but I have recently noticed the top end noise for the first time.

Thanks for the help and insight.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    it would be wise to check the valve clearance. adjusting it is another issue. I'd also crank the engine a few times to see if the timing chain is showing any damage at all.

btw, avoid anti-seize on NGK branded spark plugs. results is over torque due to lubrication properties and their specialty plating on the threads

Thanks, Pete. I didn't use much anti-seize at all. I have been using anti-seize on my turbo Camaro for many years and haven't had any issues with the NGK plugs in it, but will definitely note that down for the JetSki.

+1
    perhaps only a problem on aluminum heads, but that advice has been in circulation for years, and years

My Camaro has aluminum heads as well. I have seen it mentioned both ways here. I'll take your advice since you're in the business though!

+1
    do a quick google on the topic of anti-seize and NGK sparkplugs.

I don't use a toprque wrench btw, never ran into a problem.

First year or two after I opened my shop I found out about it.

never had a problem with the ones I serviced as far as plugs snapping off. even the reallllly tiny kawasaki ones.

I did get pretty good at removing them however, as broken ones show up in clusters around holidays here.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Longer02 View Post
    Anyway, I recently did the intake mod and put the filter in the rear storage bucket. Obviously, the intake noise is noticeably louder but the other day I noticed a slight ticking in what appeared to be the top end of the engine. I could hear it slightly with the seats on and idling, but when I took the seats off I could hear it plain as day. I know what valve train issues sound like in my Camaro, but not sure if this noise is something to be concerned with on the 15F.
    It's not that uncommon the 12F/15Fs to hear a tick. I would not worry about it, but at some point you should probably do a valve adjustment. Not all that hard, but a little trickier with the motor in the ski to not drop stuff--just have to be more careful, but possible.

-Greg

9. +1 by:

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Longer02 View Post
    My Camaro has aluminum heads as well. I have seen it mentioned both ways here. I'll take your advice since you're in the business though!
    Advise telling you to Not applying anti sieze is asking for stuck plugs........ its like listening to a caryard salemans that says the car is a really good 1 owner !!

Apply as you have for years.

Once the washers touch's ( finger tight ) go 1/4 turn and all will be good........... only the youtube mechanics and back yard dad and dave shows use a tension wrench on plugs.

This argument has been going on for ever...…. All I will say is after 30+ years of being a tech...…… the anti sieze IS NOT THE ISSUE … its the NUT tightening the plug.

11. +1 by:

+1
    agreed, but I've followed the NGK tech bulletins on the subject since they claim their "special plating" negates the need for it.

I haven't used a torque wrench on a spark plug in 30 years, either

running in salt water?..I'd be putting a _very_ light coat on, but hardly anything I work on goes near the ocean anyhow.

its the classic risk/reward equation

Thanks for the responses all. I'm hoping to get the ski out on the water this weekend.

I went out yesterday and attempted to start it on the hose but it would turn over a few times, then quit, then turn over, then quit. Checked voltage at the battery and it showed almost 13 volts. Then checked it while cranking and it dropped to 8 volts. Looks like I will be going to get a new battery today. If it's not one thing it's another!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information