Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

is this signs of clutch going?

cruising along today at around 50 mph, can feel the power back off for a fraction of a second, then come back. feels like just a blip. happened many times on the way back to the launch.

I'm thinking this is clutch (about 70 hours since last changed, and have Tial BOV), but wondering if it might also be something else. modded ski, 8500rpm dean's tune.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by speeder View Post
    cruising along today at around 50 mph, can feel the power back off for a fraction of a second, then come back. feels like just a blip. happened many times on the way back to the launch.

I'm thinking this is clutch (about 70 hours since last changed, and have Tial BOV), but wondering if it might also be something else. modded ski, 8500rpm dean's tune.

thanks!

Hi Speeder,

It may turn out to be a clutch which is slipping so do the usual clucth checks. To me is sounds like it might just be a engine misfire so I would check plugs to ensure they look good and ensure there is no water\moisture in and around the plugs - Moisture in the plug holes heats up and the steam goes up the plug shaft\sockets which can cause a misfire. Most noticable underload of course, may run fine at idle. It could be many other things like bad fuel or fuel starvation but I will let others comment on other causes.
    I hope its a simple fix for you so just pull the plugs and check they are not oily or sooty, post back what you find. Of course check oil level and colour of the oil as levels and colour can change if fuel or water makes its way into it - again many reasons so just post back what you find.

As a rule, I change my plugs and oil\filter every season and sometime the oil more often if its been a good riding season. I marine rescue unit told me the most common reason for retrieving boats on the water was Fuel, can be dirty, poor quality or just a lack of it of course - dont use the fuel mixed with alcohol as it separates when sitting around in a boat or Ski for long periods.
    Buy from a top quality fuel outlet where there is plenty of volume.

Cheers

Dave

When my clutch was going out it only slipped at wot.

+1
    Hey Speeder, not sure if it the clutch. When my clutch went the ski would still run about 55 gps and get to about 5500RPMs, it is just that you are then riding around on a non-supercharged ski ... no real issues, just 55 max.

+1
    my oil was way overfull. lots of gas blowby recently somehow. oil reeked of gas smell. the level was an inch over the top dot. changed the oil and filter and will test in a day or two to see if it fixed the problem.

my oil was way overfull. lots of gas blowby recently somehow. oil reeked of gas smell. the level was an inch over the top dot. changed the oil and filter and will test in a day or two to see if it fixed the problem.
    Speeder,

Keep a close eye on that oil level, definately not normal to have fuel in your oil like that. Check your plugs to ensure you are not running too rich, do you run a fuel presure regulator? If so which type?
    I am sure some of the other members who have experienced fuel in there oil will be able to post more things to look at.
    Might be hard to get the all the fuel out in just one change as I expect it floats on the top of the oil.

Good luck

Dave

and dont use any lucas or friction inhibitors. Lucas killed all 3 of my clutches.. makes it too slick and it wont engage.. had to remove, soak in gas, then relube in regular oil and they came back to life..

+1
    Oil smelling of gas is a sign of missfire or over fuelling (Washing the bores) check plugs and coil packs

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spi200 View Post
    Check your plugs to ensure you are not running too rich
    can you check the plugs anytime to see if running too rich? or need to do it just after a run?

no AFR, and thanks for your other comments.

can you check the plugs anytime to see if running too rich? or need to do it just after a run?

no AFR, and thanks for your other comments.
    Hi Speeder,

A check of the plugs can be done anytime of course and not just after a hard pull\run, this is why people recommend only doing it after a hard pull\run.

Hard pull\run shutoff method - only way to check the fuel mixture ratio at WOT, full throttle is where damage is done to engines if running too lean. Its crude but an effective indication you have a problem.

General plug check - Plugs will show what has been happening over a period of time at various throttle levels, probably even while idling when docking\cleaning etc. However, if there is any significant problem it will still show on the plugs - they may be oily, sooty black, rusty or if lean they will be white in color. Of course the plugs can be checked to ensure their in no damge to the electrode or insulator and that plug gaps are correct.

In your case a quick check of the plugs (all of them) is a cheap and easy thing to do before you go out on the water, got to find why you are getting fuel in your oil. Could be running too rich or a misfire as one of the posters above mentioned, of course could be a faulty injector or a problem with your tune or fuel presure regulator if you have one.

Post photos of your plugs if unsure and the guys will help,

Hope that helps

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information