Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1995 Wave Raider......

Picked up 95 wave raider. It had not been run in a few years. I pulled the fuel tank and clean it out. I cleaned out the oil tank and replaced all the oil lines and bled them properly. I also replaced the fuel switch and all hoses. Rebuilt the carbs with an OSD "Back to OEM" carb kits. Reinstalled them today and it will not idle. It will only run for a while if I keep working the choke. If i don't it revs high and then dies. I am going to go back through the carbs and redo them. I did not do the pop off or leak down as i thought the OEM kit would be an install and go type of kit. Compression is 160/160. Is there anything else that would not allow the engine to idle properly? What should I test next?

Sounds lean at idle, open the idle mixture screws and try again.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	451079  

+1
    Also double check that your fuel supply and return are correct.

I found one of the springs in the carb out of place. I cleaned then good one more time and set both popoffs at 55-60psi with the new kit. After a bit of choking she started to run ok and I got her dialed in a bit. Working on the trailer now and hope to have her in the water on Friday. My fuel lines are correct , but i did notice that fuel filter was installed with the arrow pointing toward the fuel switch. I installed the new filter with the arrow in line with the fuel to the carbs.

Took it to the river today. She idled for about 5 min. Would bog and die trying to get on plane. Then stopped running at all. On the way home now to diagnose what the issue is. I know it’s getting fuel so I start with spark and then double check fuel and compression. The display doesn’t work so I have no idea if there are any sensors that would keep it from working. I did not see a water stream come out other than the one that shoots up from the rear deck. Is there another tale-tell for the cooling? Got it home and checked that we have spark and it does. Compression is at 125/130 now. Plugs are very wet like its getting to much fuel so I pulled the cover off the carbs and took a video. It looks like there is way to much fuel being dumped through the carbs. When you rev it, fuel blows out the carbs. This doesn't look right to me but I am not sure. Just seems way to rich to me.....

+1
    That fuel reversion appears to mostly be coming out of the front carb. That's a broken or bent reed.

I was just thinking that might be the case. Might as well do both while I am in there..... Is there an aftermarket set of reeds or is OEM better?

Also just looked at the plugs and it seems the front plug is clean and almost new looking, so it appears it isn't running on that cylinder....
    Last edited by kenfyoozed; 07-19-2019 at 07:22 PM.

+1
    Don't get caught up in the "power reed" business. Buy a new set of whatever you find a deal on, or pick up a cheap intake with stock reeds intact off ebay.

By the way, if that's a 700 it is commonly referred to as the 62T. All 700's are not the same.

Are used reeds worth installing or would new ones be better?

+1
    The oem stainless reeds just about last forever. If they are fiber go new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information