How tight/loose should the trailer bunks be?

I have a new Triton single trailer and the bunks seems to be loose. When the seadoo is off the trailer I can EASILY pivot the bunks back and forth. Should the bunks be tightend as to not move or does there need to be a little play for the bunk to pivot during loading? loose, snug or tight with no pivot ability?

+1
    I prefer to have them tight as the watercraft sits on the trailer, more solid when trailering.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
    I have a new Triton single trailer and the bunks seems to be loose. When the seadoo is off the trailer I can EASILY pivot the bunks back and forth. Should the bunks be tightend as to not move or does there need to be a little play for the bunk to pivot during loading? loose, snug or tight with no pivot ability?
    First, make sure the bunks are properly located under the hull.

You want the bunk boards located against the hull flat areas in between the hull ridges, so no ridges are riding on the actual bunks.

With the hull on the bunks, tighten the Triton bunk pivot bolts to ‘fairly tight’. Remember these are stainless steel bolts (I hope) so don’t overtighten the nuts so much that you strip the threads or break the bolts off.

When the hull is next off the trailer, the bunks should be ‘quite stiff’ to rotate by hand. Possible to move them with strong effort, but generally you want the bunk boards to retain the hull angles when the hull is off the trailer.

While you are down there, make sure the other bolts holding the wood bunks to the brackets are properly snug. Same with the bolts for the reinforcement rib under the bunk, if there is one.

And of course the bolts that hold the bunk brackets down to the trailer should also be nicely tight. And the nuts/bolts under the winch post and winch slide assembly.

Awesome...thanks for the info. I will definitely tighten them.

Thread Information