+1

701 Swapped Kawasaki SXR 1500 - Conversion For Kids

Before I get all the negative Nancy's, I want to first state these things:
    • Yes, the ski has a smaller engine than stock - it is specifically for my kids
    • The ski has a throttle stop to limit speed
    • Will be ridden in a large private pond, not public water
    • No I didn't want to get a 300sx. I probably have less money in this than a running 300/550 ski.

Anyway, Just wanting to share the project I've been putting together for my two boys. They've ridden skis with me ever since they were old enough to wear a lifejacket and they have been talking non stop about getting a ski they can ride by themselves. I have a place we can safely do that and the ski is setup where it will have an adjustable throttle limit.

2017 SXR 1500 hull and we dropped in a 701 61x engine I had laying around. Pretty simple and straightforward swap. We used a spark gas tank and I added 3 fittings to it. ADA couplers and it aligned perfect. Still using the stock 1500 pump/prop. First watertest was suprising as the ski went 38.5mph with the stock 1500 prop and the engine was being lugged down a bunch probably missing 2k rpm at wot (to be expected). Anyway, I think this is going to work perfect for what it is intended for and maybe one day we will swap an 1100 in it.

+1
    Interesting build, usually people go the other way, ie larger engine, but I can see this should work well for it intended purpose. You have a very stable standup ski for the kids, its not over powered. I would hook up some sort of tach to see where the engine is running, so you don't lug it too much & burn it down, many impellers available for that pump.

+1
    Coolest Dad ever! (And fvck the NN’s - their crap posts (and snide “tones”) say tons more about THEM than the other members they’re directing their negassing at)

You're one cold Dad, fer sure!

+1
    Thanks Thor!

We got to test it out Saturday and the kids did AWESOME on it! My 3 & 4 yr old boys took turns every 10mins or so and they each got about 30mins ride time each so far. I sped it up for my 4yr old and it probably goes 10-12mph with him. A little less for my 3yr old.

BTW, I started a Youtube channel for them to document all of their adventures. Subscribe if you'd like to see more content like this - Thanks!

+1
    Very cool... a 3-year-old riding a standup.

Next project: get a Dodge Challenger HellCat and install a lawn tractor engine for the kid to drive.

But seriously, where did you get an empty hull? I heard that people were buying these things to harvest the motors, but I've never seen a hull for sale. I'd like to pick one up to build some sort of conversion ski.

+1
    There's a couple big aftermarket race ski builders who have quite a few empty hulls on hand. I actually got this one from a friend who used the engine in a HX for Sport GP class. I know another guy who put a kawi 1100 in the 1500 hull - makes for a super affordable rec ski and does mid 50's first time out he said.

+1
    I'll have to look around. That's exactly what I had in mind. I have a complete 1100 ZXi minus the hull. If the 1100 STX does mid 50's, I'm sure the 1100 SXR would do it too.

I thought about buying a new SXR... local dealer had them for $6900. But I don't know how much I'd ride it. I sold the SJ last year because it didn't get used enough.

+1
    swlamarshrunner, I hereby nominate you for Father of the Year! That's so cool!

I'm going to have a hull next year and floated the idea of putting one of those battery-powered kiddie car motors in it with some 12v batteries. My thought was that the nieces and nephews could play with it in our swimming pool. My wife would have absolutely nothing to do with it...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    swlamarshrunner, I hereby nominate you for Father of the Year! That's so cool!

I'm going to have a hull next year and floated the idea of putting one of those battery-powered kiddie car motors in it with some 12v batteries. My thought was that the nieces and nephews could play with it in our swimming pool. My wife would have absolutely nothing to do with it...
    Thanks Steve - they've been asking me all week if we can take it out again this weekend. Looks like I know what I'll be doing haha

Thread Information