In hull transducers and depth finder/chart plotter recommendations?

I want to get a small GPS/chart/depth finder to my 2018 VX, but I don't want to mess with adding anything external to the ski. It looks like there are some success stories of people doing this. Are any brands better than others for in hull mounting? I am fine if I lose the depth feature at high speeds, or have a little inaccuracy from shooting through the hull. I have mostly been looking at the Garmin Echomap series, maybe a 44cv? Thoughts?

+1
    check vexilar - wi to phone to ipad - I think$150. then use navionics

I would rather not use a phone, I want something built for marine application. Not sure their transducer works in hull either?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I have a rather large Garmin screen mounted on my GP1800. No matter which screen/model you buy, you have to somehow mount it where you can see it and use it. Make sure it is solidly mounted.

My advice is to select the largest screen you can handle. A small screen might seem just fine when you are sitting on the trailer or idling around, but at speed in the water a small chartplotter screen can be hard to read, especially for charts. The screen will be vibrating and wiggling from the hull motion over the waves, and your head will be bobbing around at the same time. The bigger the screen the less time it takes to ‘read’ the screen when running at speed. In unfamiliar waters being able to actually see the tiny chart markings for ‘rock’ can be important.

My (also fairly large) Garmin transducer is mounted directly below the jet pump, right behind the ride plate.
    Others have used a similar mounting for the transducer.

Thread Information