Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    2003 Ultra 150 issue

    I bought a Kawasaki ultra 150 03 with 110 hours a few weeks ago, it my first ski and I love it. Only problem is getting it started. It usually will start when it's been sitting for a few days no problem. But if I go out on a ride and leave it for longer than 10 minutes it won't start back up at all. I've been spraying a little starting fluid in the air box and that seems to work every time but I'd like to fix the issue. I also do not use choke anymore since it starts right up without it when I first take it out. If I use choke it won't start either after 10 minutes. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also has new plugs and new battery and triple pisser kit. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Ultra150Gw; 07-14-2019 at 09:35 PM.


  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra150Gw View Post
    I bought a Kawasaki ultra 150 03 with 110 hours a few weeks ago, it my first ski and I love it. Only problem is getting it started. It usually will start when it's been sitting for a few days no problem. But if I go out on a ride and leave it for longer than 10 minutes it won't start back up at all. I've been spraying a little starting fluid in the air box and that seems to work every time but I'd like to fix the issue. I also do not use choke anymore since it starts right up without it when I first take it out. If I use choke it won't start either after 10 minutes. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also has new plugs and new battery and triple pisser kit. Thanks for your help.
    PicsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1563157690502.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	450911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190714_222917524.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	450912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190714_222936418.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	450913

  3. #3
    SplishSplash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Belle River Ont Canada
    Posts
    1,567
    +1
    165
    Well, it looks neglected in the engine compartment, missing parts, Toggle switches for what? No clamp or zip tie on cylinder 1 pisser
    Carbs probably need a good cleaning. But before you tear it apart, try just leaving the gas cap loose and see if it will start, sometimes the fuel tank check valve sticks closed and the engine can't get gas to start but once it running there is enough pulse pressure to make it work.
    The missing bracket for the airbox says this engine has had this issue for a while and has not been resolved.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Well, it looks neglected in the engine compartment, missing parts, Toggle switches for what? No clamp or zip tie on cylinder 1 pisser
    Carbs probably need a good cleaning. But before you tear it apart, try just leaving the gas cap loose and see if it will start, sometimes the fuel tank check valve sticks closed and the engine can't get gas to start but once it running there is enough pulse pressure to make it work.
    The missing bracket for the airbox says this engine has had this issue for a while and has not been resolved.
    Thanks I will try that, the toggle switch is for the bilge pump, never had to use it but it works. Guy I picked it up from said the motor was rebuilt and has a new stator. It rides real well after I get it started, had it around 60-65 on smooth water. Thanks

  5. #5
    I have also recently gotten into the STX-R/Ultra 150 skis. They have the same motor. It is common that they can be hard to start. Everyone here recommends installing a primer kit to fix the issue. I haven't installed one yet because I have had much bigger issues but I imagine I will be installing one in the near future. Essentially once it is installed is similar to any primer on any small engine. It sprays some fuel into the intake to help it start. Supposedly it fixes the hard to start issue with the 1200 motor.

  6. +1 by:


  7. #6
    steve45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,641
    +1
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    Supposedly it fixes the hard to start issue with the 1200 motor.
    It DOES solve the problem.


  8. #7
    Agreed, everyone i have had or worked on had hard start issue.

  9. +1 by:


  10. #8
    Thanks everyone, I'm gonna go with the primer kit. Everything seems to be pointing to that. Appreciate the help

  11. #9
    steve45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,641
    +1
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra150Gw View Post
    Thanks everyone, I'm gonna go with the primer kit. Everything seems to be pointing to that. Appreciate the help
    Be advised, DO NOT REMOVE THE CHOKES ON AN ULTRA 150!!! It will run lean and burn up the engine. You'll have to re-direct the discharge elsewhere.

  12. +1 by:


  13. #10
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    Posts
    8,355
    +1
    1,966
    and for Pete's sake, STOP USING STARTER FLUID!

    you can put some holes in the top of the flame arrestor directly over the carb throats for the helper gas.

    As Steve mentioned DO NOT remove the choke plate system

    I STRONGLY suggest running the primer lines thru some 1/4 in fuel line to protect them from engine heat

    skis burn to the ground when primer lines fail. they need to be inspected often and changed yearly

  14. +1 by:


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ultra 150 issue
    By sroney in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-11-2017, 11:27 AM
  2. Noob here with a 2003 Kawaski Ultra 130 DI issue
    By Ray in forum Kawasaki How To & FAQs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-2014, 11:25 AM
  3. 2003 Ultra 150 Comperssion ????
    By frankbarb in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-27-2011, 10:15 PM
  4. Ultra 150 issue
    By coldspace in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2009, 10:52 AM
  5. F/S 2003 Ultra 150 in NJ
    By mike1252 in forum Kawasaki Skis
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 10:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •