Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey, here's a free 07 STX-12F and Ultra 250x. On a trailer. You're welcome.

New here. Go easy.

We were just given the skis mentioned above. My wife's mother bought them in 09 from the original owner in Jacksonville. FL. Older guy, very thorough, ridden and stored appropriately, 68 hours on both at the time of purchase in 2009. Over the last 10 years, my wife and I have ridden them here and there, serviced and cleaned them (ourselves)... otherwise, none of the other family would've taken them out. The original owner used a high dollar marine synthetic oil and OEM filters. We've continued that, changing the oil every 15 hours. Before they were given to us a month or so ago, they sat for a solid three years in a climate controlled shop with the covers on. Honestly, they look pretty much like new although there are scratches on the hulls of both skis. Before sitting, I read up on fogging and did all of that on both engines and the Ultra's supercharger, etc. Fuel was pumped out prior to being stored, batteries removed, oil changed, fogged, etc.

A couple of weeks ago, I pulled them out and washed them, put 5 gallons of non ethanol fuel in each (high test for the Ultra) and installed new batteries. Both fired up normally and sounded like they should. I noticed the instrument gauge on the STX was dark black in almost all of it but I was able to see that it has 95 hours on it. I had previously read about this multifunction gauge being a problem so I planned on replacing it. The Ultra also has 95 hours on it.

For whatever reason, I decided to tow both down to an (exceedingly rare) reputable dealer here in FL and begged them to find every problem they could. The Service Rep who checked me in looked puzzled and asked if I had concerns. I told him about the faulty gauge and he was familiar. I then told him I was concerned about all of the "issues" that an 07 Ultra 250x has. My understanding is that they are problem-ridden and suffer from the first year production problems. What he showed me after that sort of blew me away. He took me out to the service lot where there were 5 or 6 07 Ultras. One had almost 900 hours on it and was in for a reverse cable replacement (that ain't cheap). The others he showed me all had at least 300 hours and were just in for normal service. ????? Huh????

So, we had the instrument gauge on the STX replaced. Ouch. That was $1050. Compression tests and 100 hour services on both (the Ultra had the supercharger belt adjusted, etc.). They pulled both pumps to check bearings; no issues at all. Changed oil, replaced spark plugs, disassembled and inspected pumps, performed recall work that was never done, etc. Two fresh batteries, compression tests that revealed perfect compression, pumps that checked out perfectly, etc... $1800.00. Mother of God.

That's a lot of money. We do OK financially but it hurt to spend that on 12 year old skis. Yeah, I know two new ones would cost a lot more. I spoke to the tech who worked on them. He participates in a ride from FL to the Bahamas every year on his own 09 Ultra. Extremely knowledgeable, thorough, and polite. I politely asked if he knew about all of the issues on the 07 Ultras. He shook his head and told me he hasn't seen all that many with the "problems" unless they're abused and neglected. He told me everything checked out normally on both skis and to try to perform services myself to save money. WHAT???? TF??????

Alright man maybe I'm just lucky (yeah real lucky after spending $1800) but it seems I might have a good pair of skis and a real good dealer. I've trolled the forums and read up about the upgrades to Ultra 250x pump, etc. I've also read about the major problems that many have had. In all honesty, we have an 04 6.0 Power Stroke diesel that has been one of the most reliable vehicles we've ever owned. If you read about that truck online, you'd never buy one. So, is what I'm reading online a bunch of people who have beat the hell out of these things then, complained about reliability? Any opinions welcome... I'm learning and will take any wisdom you all have.

That is re-assuring to hear. I just bought a low hour ultra250x. It was well maintained and not abused by previous owner. I plan to change the oil every 15 hours as well. I'll probably do fresh plugs each season considering how cheap they are.

Cool. What year? How many hours?
    Quote Originally Posted by palacios289 View Post
    That is re-assuring to hear. I just bought a low hour ultra250x. It was well maintained and not abused by previous owner. I plan to change the oil every 15 hours as well. I'll probably do fresh plugs each season considering how cheap they are.

2007. I bought it with 41 hours. I spent my first weekend changing oil, plugs and i removed the intercooler to drain and clean. I had a bit of oil but nothing too crazy. I did get my pump upgraded to 300 specs. I plan to keep up with the maintenance to get to the crazy hours you posted. I don't plan any power modifications as to me the ultra is fast enough.

Did they do the pump upgrade on the Ultra. You should really have that done. Its all fun and games until it lunches the crank due to the pump dying. And you wont feel or hear anything until its too late. It isn't about beating it up and then it not being reliable, its about the bearing design being insufficient for the axial thrust generated by the impeller.

6. +1 by:

They didn't. I asked but the tech said it just isn't necessary for normal recreational use. I'm going to agree with you that it needs to be done. Erring to the side of caution is always better. The plan is to run them for the remainder of the summer then get the pump upgraded and supercharger rebuilt. I'll probably put 10 hours on them. So, maybe around 105 hours or so. It'll be just me riding the Ultra and I always ease in to the throttle. Regardless, I know the risk. I just need to space out the expenditure... man, $1800 was a lot to swallow.
    Quote Originally Posted by raven007 View Post
    Did they do the pump upgrade on the Ultra. You should really have that done. Its all fun and games until it lunches the crank due to the pump dying. And you wont feel or hear anything until its too late. It isn't about beating it up and then it not being reliable, its about the bearing design being insufficient for the axial thrust generated by the impeller.

I got my pump upgraded for $420 including parts. My shop said its a quick shop as long as nothing is rusted and corroded. I'd rather have the pump upgraded and not have that worry.

9. +1 by:

+1
    I am of the opinion that many pwc owners dont have a clue what they are doing when it comes to maintaining and owning a ski. They put them away hot and wet and their idea of preventative maintenance is to prevent maintenance. I realize we all have to start somewhere but most of the issues we see here could have been prevented by a little tlc. Also, remember that most people only post when they have a problem. Don’t see very many posts about how reliable or good their ski has been.

11. +1 by:

Dcuhpw, very true. Most people don’t do a lick of maintenance and than wonder why stuff breaks.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanT View Post
    They didn't. I asked but the tech said it just isn't necessary for normal recreational use. I'm going to agree with you that it needs to be done. Erring to the side of caution is always better. The plan is to run them for the remainder of the summer then get the pump upgraded and supercharger rebuilt. I'll probably put 10 hours on them. So, maybe around 105 hours or so. It'll be just me riding the Ultra and I always ease in to the throttle. Regardless, I know the risk. I just need to space out the expenditure... man, $1800 was a lot to swallow.
    If the tech advises against a pump upgrade then he is obviously not as good as you think.

The biggest point of failures on the 250/260 was the pump, it alone is the biggest real-world issue you should be afraid of.
    As the side effects of not spending a few hundred dollars is potentially 6k +
    And yes it happens to standard rec skies As Well....it's not if but when it will happen.....
    You've been warned..... just don't come back here complaining how much your engine and pump cost to fix please !!!!
    Last edited by sirbreaksalot; 07-14-2019 at 01:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information