+1

FZR with intermittent issue

Hey y'all, looking for input on an issue that my friends 2014 FZR has. Ski is very low hours, maybe 60 and has a stage 1 that has the gps over ride module, not Map Tuner X flash. The drive ability/performance issue started last Summer, sometimes when he starts the ski and goes to add throttle the engine has very little power and doesn't rev much. If he shuts it off and restarts it it usually fixes the issue, sometimes this has to be repeated two or three times but always remedies the issue. He called Riva for guidance and it was suggested that possibly the SC clutch is failing, and we will check that weekend after next when we get to the river where the ski is stored, but we are both inclined to believe this is an electrical issue. There are no codes reported and the ski always runs smooth with no misfire or dropped cylinder or anything like that, also doesn't seem to make any difference if the ski is warm or cold. I'm wondering if the throttle position sensor would cause this. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Check your timing if it’s ok it’s possibly the throttle body

+1
    Thanks for the idea, would you expound on how timing or the throttle body would cause an intermittent problem and how restarting the engine cures it. Much appreciated.

+1
    The owner of the ski (my friend) checked this thread and found a similar thread where the issue turned out to be the switch that limits the rpm when you engage the reverse lever, even though the reverse lever doesn't get used during this intermittent condition he says that the rpm he gets limited to when this happens is just like the rpm that the ski is limited to while using reverse. I wonder if when the engine is started that that switch or sensor gets prompted by the ecu and if that part is going bad the ecu thinks that reverse has been engaged and limits the engine rpm,,,, things that make you go hmm and scratch you chin. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Outboardjohn View Post
    The owner of the ski (my friend) checked this thread and found a similar thread where the issue turned out to be the switch that limits the rpm when you engage the reverse lever, even though the reverse lever doesn't get used during this intermittent condition he says that the rpm he gets limited to when this happens is just like the rpm that the ski is limited to while using reverse. I wonder if when the engine is started that that switch or sensor gets prompted by the ecu and if that part is going bad the ecu thinks that reverse has been engaged and limits the engine rpm,,,, things that make you go hmm and scratch you chin. Lol.
    Yes, definitely check the reverse engage sensor. Also make sure the Ski isnt in Low rpm mode. If you had a TPS or Throttle body issue it will log a check engine light every time. I'm going to put money on the reverse limit sensor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Outboardjohn View Post
    Hey y'all, looking for input on an issue that my friends 2014 FZR has. Ski is very low hours, maybe 60 and has a stage 1 that has the gps over ride module, not Map Tuner X flash. The drive ability/performance issue started last Summer, sometimes when he starts the ski and goes to add throttle the engine has very little power and doesn't rev much. If he shuts it off and restarts it it usually fixes the issue, sometimes this has to be repeated two or three times but always remedies the issue. He called Riva for guidance and it was suggested that possibly the SC clutch is failing, and we will check that weekend after next when we get to the river where the ski is stored, but we are both inclined to believe this is an electrical issue. There are no codes reported and the ski always runs smooth with no misfire or dropped cylinder or anything like that, also doesn't seem to make any difference if the ski is warm or cold. I'm wondering if the throttle position sensor would cause this. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Have you tried changing the spark plugs yet?

7. +1 by:

Thread Information