Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Sea Doo Ski Pylon

I have a 2019 GTX 230. I added the ski module so that I could slalom ski behind it. It works great! However today while skiing the ski pylon broke. It is under warranty and I am going to get it replaced but I am concerned that the pylon cannot handle a slalom skier. I am told that when I cut back and forth across the wake the pylon is bending and today it finally snapped. Has anyone skied with the pylon for a significant amount of time and not had any issues with the pylon breaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
    I have a 2019 GTX 230. I added the ski module so that I could slalom ski behind it. It works great! However today while skiing the ski pylon broke. It is under warranty and I am going to get it replaced but I am concerned that the pylon cannot handle a slalom skier. I am told that when I cut back and forth across the wake the pylon is bending and today it finally snapped. Has anyone skied with the pylon for a significant amount of time and not had any issues with the pylon breaking?
    I have been slalom skiing for 35 years, have a Malibu Response boat with a 350 horse engine. Even though this boat is a beast, those in the boat can feel me pull across the wakes.

I dont care what BRP thinks, I would never try to slalom behind a dinky Sea Doo, and would guaranty the pylon would break clean off as you have found. If you are any good as a slalom skier, wtf are you thinking even trying to ski behind a jet ski?

I pull around boats as well. The jet ski works great to ski behind and with the ski module anybody can drive me skiing, they just plug in the numbers (acceleration and speed) and the ski does the rest. Yes the ski does get yanked around but with the ski module I prefer to ski behind the jet ski over my boat because someone always has to make throttle corrections to keep it up to speed as I cut and most people can’t do this very well.
    The POST however was not about the ski, it was about the ski pylon. Im not sure why you even responded since you have no information or experience regarding the ski pylon. I’m not interested in hearing about your skiing ability, you should take your insecurities about yourself to another forum maybe some sort of men’s health group.

4. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
    I pull around boats as well. The jet ski works great to ski behind and with the ski module anybody can drive me skiing, they just plug in the numbers (acceleration and speed) and the ski does the rest. Yes the ski does get yanked around but with the ski module I prefer to ski behind the jet ski over my boat because someone always has to make throttle corrections to keep it up to speed as I cut and most people can’t do this very well.
    The POST however was not about the ski, it was about the ski pylon. Im not sure why you even responded since you have no information or experience regarding the ski pylon. I’m not interested in hearing about your skiing ability, you should take your insecurities about yourself to another forum maybe some sort of men’s health group.
    Well, Einstein, you asked why your post broke and I told you why. If you have ever seen how sturdy a post is used on a real tournament ski boat, then maybe you might understand why it is stupid to think that skiing slalom behind a jet ski is possible

+1
    Man, this broke down in a hurry. I believe that I saw a placard regarding the pylon as stating something about not to tow tubes or maybe slalom. I don't remember, but there was a stated limit of use.

That being said, I have pulled a double man tube and slalom skiers behind my little ole 785 XP for years and years with no issues. Yes, you have to counter steer to stay straight, but it beats dragging the boat along and leaving the watercraft at home.

Team Bilford, I spent a couple of years talking to dealers and Sea Doo about using the jet ski and ski pylon for slalom skiing, I was concerned about the ski getting yanked around and not being able to ski hard behind it and they told me the ski could handle it. I am very pleased with what it is like to ski behind it, the ski module works great at keeping the ski at a steady speed, yes the jet ski gets yanked around and I need to keep my turns tight but it is working great. At no time did they ever mention the ski pylon being an issue. The only thing they told me was that you cannot use the pylon for tubing. I have skied behind jet boats for 24 years, skiing behind the jet ski is not an issue. If I have to I can always attach the rope to the lower cleat. I don’t need a tournament boat to open water ski and get some great runs in. Sea Dood, I am not interested in your opinion, I want to hear from someone who has some actual experience using the ski pylon. The dealer says my pylon is the first one he has seen that broke. He already gave me a new pylon under warranty and claims it should not break. I’m skeptical.

+1
    My guess is if you broke it once you'll break it again. So, you might want to either back off the aggressive turns while hooked up to the pylon or switch to a boat for that type of skiing.

+1
    I would think the pylon would face more stress pulling an experienced salon skier than most tubes. I did not have a pylon so I used a ski bridle designed for use with an outboard. It attached to the two transom hooks. A good one actually pivots on a roller to keep equal pressure on both attachment points. I agree with BR99, if you broke it once, it most likely will happen again especially since they exclude using it with tubes.

+1
    We have a pylon on both our seadoos. We tow a 4 person tube, kneeboarders, wake boarders etc. never had an issue. The spotter facing the towable uses the ski pylon handles.

+1
    I have to agree with Sea Dood, I can feel a skier or wakeboarder on my Tige. I can only imagine how bad the ski is yanked around.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information