Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    +1
    check compression...last I checked fingers cant measure compression.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    If you were holding throttle open it WON'T spark. Computer must see a closed throttle to start.
    Thanks for sharing the information. That's why I love Green Hulk forums for learning little things that aren't common knowledge.

Engine is bad

Quote Originally Posted by lrm View Post
    Only opened throttle to spray starting fluid into throttle body, didnít hold throttle wide open the whole time. I tested spark with coil attached grounding it to engine. Had brand new plugs and they threw solid sparks on all 4 cylinders.
    Would more battery power help? I have an old boat battery from a 2 stroke 90hp Mercury. Iím going to drain all gas next, maybe something is wrong with it. Could be if gas has water it wouldnít go Ďpopí. I donít have a reason to do this, I filled the tank with 91 octane non oxygenated 2 weeks ago.
    2 Bent valves, timing chain guide fell off, sounds like the timing chain flew off and there was valve damage after. Shop told me need new engine.
    I looked through the build section but didnít find a way to search for info on rebuilding the vx1100 engine.
    Can anyone share a link to one if there is one?

I might try new head first but with bent valves I will have to look at the pistons for damage. SBT wants $3,000 for a new engine, found a shop that will install it for $850. I would meed new chain and guide and replace broken valves.
    Thanks for your help.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    a total cost around 4k is close the the value of that ski, I'd be hesitant to go that way

what's you level of mechanical skill and hows your work facility?

replacing the timing chain isn't a job for a beginner really, it can be accomplished, but youll need a pretty well equipped workspace to pull it off.

lets see some photos of your ski, that's always helpful with this sort of choice.

I'm looking at an engine replacement on a 2013 1.8 yamaha ski and that one is also hovering around the book value.

Even if insurance totals it and I get the salvage on the cheap, its still a big chunk of change to invest just to get back to book value.

the level of damage you mention requires you at the least pull the head and inspect the jugs, you might want to go way and buy an inspection cameras and take a look down the plug holes to get a base idea of the conditions in there without pulling the head. you can find them on amazon on the cheap. make sure to get one with a head that will actually fit down the plug hole.

Thanks for the reply.
    I am hoping to be able to just replace the head, EBay for $700. The timing chain and guides will be replaced. Once I’m that far it seems like putting in new rings on the pistons would be a good idea. I’ll get to see the cylinders in case there is any scoring. But this ski has 122 hours on it, so not expecting to see much damage. Or am I better off stripping the heads and putting in new valves, guides myself? I have seen YouTube videos where they will do it either way. I’ve heard you can do the lower part of engine for $300. I haven’t done this before but have done some outboard and auto servicing. I’ll need a good guide to get things right, like valve clearance measurements, I’m hoping YouTube helps me, also any info the experts here can point me to. One question I had was how interchangeable engine parts are on this model. On EBay they list the years the part will work for and it’s a broad range, from 04-2012?
    Thanks again!

+1
    while some may cringe and yell and scream you can get a ready to bolt on vx head from SBT for $500 exchange, you should be able to find a used head that is serviceable for a few hundred less. Dealing with the valve clearance is a pain in the ass, it's a shim under bucket design and the shims are not inexpensive $12.50 each. you may be able to salvage some of the old ones, but no doubt you'll need at least $50 worth of new ones , or maybe all aof em($250 at worst case that none of them would be usable)

maybe somebody here will come along with a serviceable VX head

if you are able to tear the entire engine down you'll have a good idea of where you stand, you can do a leak down test once the cams are out to get an idea of how the pistons and rings are on the other jugs before you commit to splitting the crankcases

pistons and rings will run about $150 per hole(OEM) and then you may want to change the main bearing too..depending on what you find

this can and will get real expensive real fast

if I was doing it...

pull the engine and then the cylinder head and inspect

I'd get the bent valves replaced ( as you said the engine is low hours relative) assuming no serious head damage

visually inspect the jugs for any scoring or damage

replace the timing chain components and get the engine bolted up for a compression test on the bench

if the compression is in range your done, and maybe for under $600 parts and outside labor total.

unless you adore this ski and it has perfect cosmetics, it's foolhardy to spend a few grand on a 13 year old ski IMHO

lets see some pics....

+1
    With 122 hours, if the pistons weren't damaged by the valves, I'd guess the pistons and rings have plenty of life left in them. I wouldn't just replace the rings because you have the engine out. The job involves replacing about $200 worth of stretch bolts.

I have a clean freshwater 2007 VX cylinder head, complete with cams. Just bolt it on and go.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_steven View Post

I have a clean freshwater 2007 VX cylinder head, complete with cams. Just bolt it on and go.
    Then you won't even have to mess with shims at all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Then you won't even have to mess with shims at all!!!
    Thanks for the help and ideas. Iím officially out of the waverunner ownership clan. I sold it for cheap as a fixer upper, Iím happy to not have to deal with it anymore. Bought this used as a trial to see if I would use it enough and how much ownership would cost. Iím not happy about the 115 hours of use on it then having engine failure, of which my hours were above 47 hours as the second owner. It was in the shop many times, all related to the heads. This one required a lot of maintenance and not what I expected buying a Yamaha.

+1
    you'll find that any ski, even a brand new one if maintenance is neglected is going to have some pretty expensive problems, regardless of the brand.

yamaha, due to the higher cost of parts is one of the more expensive skis to repair

so what did it actually cost you per riding hour

given that you didn't persue actually repairing this ski you'd be better off, if you plan on riding 20 hours a month or so to buy a brand new ski where your cost of ownership will come in at around $20 a running hour. Yamahas can typically go 800+ hours with regular oil changes and no overheating events.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information