Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cracked block TR-1 engine, 2016 Waverunner

I have a Waverunner with the TR-1 engine.

I couldn't understand why this thing always had more water in it than the others at the end of the day.
    I'm running it on the hose today, and I see water spraying from under the exhaust, what the heck?

I get my phone and snap a few pics and it looks like there is a thin crack between 2 hose bibs? It looks like it has been doing this for a while.

The machine runs great otherwise. Is this something that could be fixed? What would be the best method?

The pic of the bare block is just a better visual for seeing where the crack is on the block.

Thanks everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	block.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	450541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leak.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	450542  
    Last edited by K447; 07-06-2019 at 09:00 PM.

Just looking at the picture this must of been run in salt water because there appears to be a lot of corrosion. If the block is cracked the fix won't be cheap or easy. The best fix would be to replace the block.

+1
    Worth speaking to Yamaha do you still have warranty? Certainly worth getting checked
    Last edited by HDAV; 07-07-2019 at 09:38 AM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I'd clean that up real good and slather some jb weld on it. Might hold up for a while if its just leaking external. I assume no water in the oil?

enlarge the crack a bit with a die grinder for better grippage.

of course, check for warranty first, but given the condition of the pictures. I doubt if they would cover it.

+1
    Hard to tell from that pic but I see a lot of corrosion. Albeit, I have welded a Yamaha block back together a while back where he was told he needed a block. By the way. JB weld causes havoc when welding. I hate that stuff even after grinding it all away the particles still imbed into the aluminum. Here is the block I did way back when just to give you an idea. PS- well aware this is a different block thou.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=263782

Do you live in an area that gets below freezing in the winter? Just wondering if you had to winterize or anything, and if that may have contributed to this issue.

Also, it looks like someone had a similar issue with the FSH boat (uses dual TR-1 I believe): https://jetboaters.net/threads/water...d-motor.18868/

Yesterday I pulled off the exhaust manifold, cleaned up the crack and went with the JB weld. Ran it on the hose this morning, no leaks so far.
    We are going riding shortly, so we will see how well it holds up.
    The ski is an old rental with 600+ hours on it. It has been in the AZ area the entire time, so I dont think freezing would have been the issue. It looks like it has been leaking for quite a while.
    Thanks Greg for posting the link, At least now I see other people with the same issue.
    Thanks for the input everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crack2.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	450584  

Find a good TIG welder and weld the ever loving crap out of it.

Edit. just saw you JB welded it. Hope it holds for awhile.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    might not be as long as we'd like, no signs of grinding in there to make the crack big enough for the JB to flow in there well.

I've fixed car blocks like that, you have a better chance on an open loop system where cooling system pressure doesn't amount to much

JB does have a pretty good flow rate in warmer weather..

do keep us posted on the longevity of the repair

Anyone care to guess on why the block cracked? Since it's from Arizona freezing and salt corrosion can be ruled out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information