‘95 sl 750 first pwc project

Hey guys this is my first jet ski and also my first time rebuilding one. I just have a few questions I can’t find anywhere online. First, there’s a plug on top of the flywheel; I was wanting to know is this just an inspection hole or an oil fill for the flywheel? If it is an oil fill what kind and how much do I put in? Second, my mfd is inop at the moment, when I opened the electrical box I saw that the fuse was blown. The guy that had it before me put a 3amp fuse in there and I gather that it’s supposed to be a 1/4 amp. I put the 1/4amp fuse in and it immediately flashed and burned out. Do you think the guy before me fried the mfd by putting that 3amp fuse in there? I tried another larger amp fuse but same deal, burned it right up. Third, I currently have the motor out of the ski and all torn down, just rebuilt the top end today. Is there anything I should change out while I have the engine already out? I’m doing a carb rebuild and upgrading to the triple fuel pump as well. Thanks in advance for your help!

+1
    Check to make sure there are NO burnt or charred wires causing that fuse to blow. All it takes is a momentary short from the battery to the box to fry the stator and ground all the way up... Since you have the motor out take the front cover off and check the stator. Easy replacment with it out..Good luck!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonmayo View Post
    Hey guys this is my first jet ski and also my first time rebuilding one. I just have a few questions I can’t find anywhere online. First, there’s a plug on top of the flywheel; I was wanting to know is this just an inspection hole or an oil fill for the flywheel?
    This is for setting the timing by viewing marks on the it as it spins. No oil, or any fluids for that matter, should be present where the flywheel is.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonmayo View Post
    Second, my mfd is inop at the moment, when I opened the electrical box I saw that the fuse was blown. The guy that had it before me put a 3amp fuse in there and I gather that it’s supposed to be a 1/4 amp. I put the 1/4amp fuse in and it immediately flashed and burned out. Do you think the guy before me fried the mfd by putting that 3amp fuse in there?
    Pull the MFD out and disconnect the harness from the back. You will see the 6 different color wires in the harness. These all enter the Ebox in the same spot. Check each wire for continuity to ground. Only the black wire should have continuity. If all is good, then the short may be internal to the MFD.

Thread Information