Impeller question! First ride FX 140

Hi! I just hit the water with the old 2002 fx 140. It revs 10k and everything feels fine.
    But i only hit about 48 mph
    Sparkplugs are new and filter is fine.

But i looked at the impeller frome the back and saw som dings. Then crawled under and took a picture from the intake grate.
    Can you tell from this pictures if that can "destroy" like 4-5 mph?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	450519   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	impeller.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	450520  
    Last edited by Peppito; 07-06-2019 at 07:00 AM. Reason: More pictures.

+1
    Doesn't look that bad.

Are you sure you're only hitting 48? Don't rely on the dash for an accurate speed reading. Check your speed with a GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_steven View Post
    Doesn't look that bad.

Are you sure you're only hitting 48? Don't rely on the dash for an accurate speed reading. Check your speed with a GPS.
    i forgot to write that the speed was on GPS. The tacho was showing only around 40-41.

I havenīt polished the hull yet, and it has a "bad" repair under the hull. I know that will effect the top speed also, but not so much in my opinion.

I have ordered a new air filter just in case.
    Last edited by Peppito; 07-06-2019 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Forgot

+1
    Hard to tell from your pics, but the impeller doesn't look that bad. Those dings on the edges are more likely to cause vibration than a significant loss of speed. You can clean the impeller up nicely with a dremel. But you should really pull the pump and check the impeller more carefully. Bent blades and excessive clearance between the impeller and the wear ring can definitely cause that much of a speed loss.

A dirty air filter can cause a noticeable performance loss. But it would usually affect RPMs as well as speed. You can run without the filter to check.

And yes, a bad hull repair can also cost some top end speed.

Your speed loss is probably due to a combination of these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_steven View Post
    Hard to tell from your pics, but the impeller doesn't look that bad. Those dings on the edges are more likely to cause vibration than a significant loss of speed. You can clean the impeller up nicely with a dremel. But you should really pull the pump and check the impeller more carefully. Bent blades and excessive clearance between the impeller and the wear ring can definitely cause that much of a speed loss.

And yes, a bad hull repair can also cost some top end speed.

Your speed loss is probably due to a combination of these issues.
    A dirty air filter can cause a noticeable performance loss. But it would usually affect RPMs as well as speed. You can run without the filter to check.

Thanks again! I will try without filter next time.
    And pull the pump to inspect everything. Big ups!

UPDATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Peppito View Post

Thanks again! I will try without filter next time.
    And pull the pump to inspect everything. Big ups!

Hi All!

An little update from today.

I have cleaned the hull, removed all the sea tulips, barnacle maybe is the right word (Dont know the word in english )
    Removed the airfilter and used carb cleaner on the throttle bodies. Also built a free flow exhaust for coooler sound

With my son and me on pwc we reached 43,4 knots around 50 mph (on gps). So a not big difference from my 48 but still a gain though.

The rpm is around 10 000 or maybe 10 500. So thats seems fine. I havenīt removed the jet and checked the impeller. Because i couldnt it sitt so tight and i donīt have any spanner do knock it loose.

So my last like 3-5 mph are missing, i think the bad repair of the hull and maybe too much gap between worn ring and impeller or only "bad" impeller. Thats where my last mph i going. What do you guys think?

I havent check the compression tough. But i donīt think the engine is "bad" because it runs fine maybe little wandering idle on water but thats all.

Hit me

Thread Information