Yamaha EX doesnt start

I have a 2018 EX with about 65 hours on it. Owned it since new. Went to drive it yesterday and it did fine at first as it always has but went to start it later on and nothing. Gauge flashes on but thats it. Battery is good. You can hear/feel the starter solenoid buzzing. When we put a volt meter to the starter side of it and pressed start it still reads nothing so that makes me think the solenoid is bad. But we also tried to jump it, with and without the solenoid and it still wont do anything so that would lead you to believe its a bad starter. I just want some more input before I start ordering parts. Is it possible theres something in these that doesnt allow you to jump the starter? Since its such a new engine I cant find anyone that knows anything about them.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check whether something is jammed inside the jet pump/impeller. The engine can not crank if the impeller cannot turn.

Is the ski now on a trailer, on land?
    If so, check the battery negative cable at the engine, make sure it is not loose or corroded.

I figured it out. It was the battery after all. Tested good but I didnt test it under a load. It must have a dead cell.

+1
    Hey Stedson, my ski although not the same ski was doing the same and I changed the battery cause thats what I thought was the problem and yesterday I had to get tow cause it did it again, I cannot be so unlucky to have bough two new bad batteries

Quote Originally Posted by randhellg View Post
    Hey Stedson, my ski although not the same ski was doing the same and I changed the battery cause thats what I thought was the problem and yesterday I had to get tow cause it did it again, I cannot be so unlucky to have bough two new bad batteries
    I have purchased a bad battery before. Have you checked to make sure its charging?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stedson350v View Post
    I figured it out. It was the battery after all. Tested good but I didnt test it under a load. It must have a dead cell.

this is know as a "surface charge", shows perfect on a voltmeter, but ask it for some heavy lifting and if falls flat on its ass.

it's an internal battery defect, in other words, a dud.

I bought a bunch of duracell branded batteries on amazon a few years ago. It was a mistake. more then half turned out to be surface charged duds.

that was the last time I tried to have a battery in the store to compete with walmart

Now it's east penn / deka, or the street is that-a-way

for me the load test is if it can crank the ski. be wary about using a load tester near-shorting batteries is not good for them and in the case of an AGM, hit it for too long and the gas pressure will spike, blow the pressure vent out and ruin the battery.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stedson350v View Post
    I have purchased a bad battery before. Have you checked to make sure its charging?

put a digital voltmeter on the battery. standing voltage should be 12.6 or better. start the engine. within 5 seconds the battery should be showing 13.2 or better. rev to 4k rpm for 3 seconds, battery should show close to 14v.

don't run any engine for more then 30 seconds off the hose at idle speed.

Thread Information