Head Gasket issues!!!

How many of you had to deck the upper case after a overheat? had the hose clamp issue 3 seasons ago on a early model 300, overheated bad. Ran great for up to 125 hrs till this season when my head gasket went, sent the head out to Chris @ eastside, and bolted it up with ARP studs 90lbs of torque. Still have the same issue, coolant system pressurized, loosing coolant by ingestion. Never heard of the upper case being warped but its either my torque was off, or I need to deck this case,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LTD300PX View Post
    How many of you had to deck the upper case after a overheat? had the hose clamp issue 3 seasons ago on a early model 300, overheated bad. Ran great for up to 125 hrs till this season when my head gasket went, sent the head out to Chris @ eastside, and bolted it up with ARP studs 90lbs of torque. Still have the same issue, coolant system pressurized, loosing coolant by ingestion. Never heard of the upper case being warped but its either my torque was off, or I need to deck this case,
    on full rebuilds I always have my blocks decked to ensure flatness. With an aluminum block anything is possible. Put a straight edge on the deck both ways diagonal and straight, shine a flashlight under the the straight edge where it meets the block and it will give you a good idea of how far off your deck is.

still cant figure it out, 2nd gasket torqued at 100ft lbs. Head decked, upper case checked for true with straight edge. Still eats/pulls coolant, bottle now even looks like it collapsing till relieving pressure with cap removed. It does look like no more white smoke, still seeing velocity in the coolant bottle on/off idle.

+1
    Did you have the head or block checked for cracks?

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk36 View Post
    Did you have the head or block checked for cracks?
    the cylinder head was sent to Chris @ eastside and was fully re-done, I didnt see any cracks visually when looking at the upper deck.

+1
    Cracks usually aren't visible to the naked eye. There is a dye process that makes them easier to see. Additionally, they tend to close up when the engine is cold and open up as it heats up. I would suspect Chris check the head.

8. +1 by:

I would trust Chris did, yes. I am going to fill each cylinder with 100psi after a warm up to see if bubbles come up into the bottle, wondering also if my source of coolant loss is the ride plate. I did the bottle test, nothing spitting out at all. Seems my coolant is getting ingested?

+1
    How about doing a combustion gas test in the coolant? Seems like a cheap/easy way to test if exhaust gas is getting into the closed loop side.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7001006

I will try it, thanks

Thread Information