Replacing supercharger bolts

Hi everyone. New here, but have been lurking around some time. I recently bought a 2008 speedster 150 with 112 hours on it. The previous owner never had the supercharger rebuilt for the life of the boat, so that was the first thing I decided to do. He said he never beat on it, which is probably why the ceramic washers haven't failed yet.

Mine has the torx bolts holding the supercharger on. I used an e8 for the bottom 2 and a 1/4" wrench for the top bolt. Got them off with a bit of effort, but they are starting to round off. I've never been a fan of torx bolts for this reason, so I'd like to swap them out with hex bolts. Anyone know of a type of grade they should be? I found this m6-1x35 stainless bolts on Amazon, but there is no markings on the bolt. The package they came in says 304 stainless. They don't stick to any magnets, so I'm sure they are stainless. Just not sure on how strong since there is no markings. Below is the link to the bolts. Any thoughts on them? I'd hate to have one snap when removing them again.

https://www.amazon.com/10pcs-Stainle...gateway&sr=8-6

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    go with OEM bolts, anything else will be trouble. This is one application where you don't want to be breaking a bolt off.

Use a high quality torx socket ( like a snap-on or mac brand)

you can't trust Chinese hardware, they are often misgraded and the quality will be questionable in any case.

Yeah i definitely dont want to take that chance since it is almost impossible to get any kind of tool in there that could remove a broken bolt. I guess I'll stick with my OEM torx and hope they dont get rounded off too much more, which I could see end up being just as much a pain as breaking one.

I've seen some people say sea doo switched to hex bolts for the oem supercharger bolts, but cant seem to find them, or a part number anywhere. Anyone know where to get them online? Maybe I'll give them a shot if I could order some ?

Banned User
    +1
    You should be fine if you went with stainless hex head bolts in that size from Fastenal. Stainless bolts aren't graded like steel bolts. Most stainless bolts are equivalent to grade 5 or better bolts and will be fine for this application. https://www.fastenal.com/product/fasteners/bolts/hex-cap-screws-and-hex-bolts/600003?categoryId=600003&level=3&isExpanded=true&S ystem%20of%20Measurement=Metric&Length=35mm&Dia/Thread%20Size=M6-1.0&Grade=A2-70&Material=Stainless%20Steel&showAll=Length&produ ctFamilyId=25572

5. +1 by:

+1
    I agree with ncdoo. I am not sure what the torque setting is for those bolts, I have always just snuged mine up. Alot of people dont even put the top bolt back in. Heck I would even bet you would be fine with just one to keep the SC from wanting to rotate.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I prefer using the torx bolts and I also am in the habit or replacing all the bolts holding the blower in place.

of course you are free to service your ski how it suits you.

People are paying me to to do this for them, and replacing all the bolts is actually the simplest part of the entire job once you know where they go and what extensions you need to use to accomplish the reinstall. The most difficult part you ask?

getting the rubber strap back around the muffler to its clip deep in the hull. I made a tool specifically to help me do that, but I still huff and puff. Same thing witht he muffler t clamp. Sometimes those bring pain.

When I see the back bolt is missing, I immediately increase the labor cost in anticipation of what other hackery I'll find ( like stripped bolts or bolts). Once I did a blower and one bolt was holding it in place, the other bolts were stripped and the "last guy" used a shitload of epoxy to camouflage the fact that the bolts were broken in half. Took forever to get it off. Whatever the guy saved the first time around was negated by my extra labor I won't second guess an engineer that designs motors for a living. They are far smarter then i

The OEM bolts are $4 each and with a proper socket, you won't be stripping them , either.

IF under circumstances I've never seen in the ten+ years I've been at this, the blower works loose, the damage will be devastating to the engine. Typically its a fight to get the blower off anyhow. If that's the case, why are there multiple bolts holding it in place?...because.

Torx bolts are used all the way up to 2019 skis. I've seen housing held together by hex head bolts but not the bolts holding the blower to the block

and for extra sauce, Torx heads are actually less prone to stripping then hex heads.

good article on the history of this fastener here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

Thread Information