Thread: One More Try...

One More Try...

Hey guys - I thought I would try ONE more time for any potential suggestions as to where to look for my "No Spark" issue before trying my best to run through all the ignition testing with the multimeter as I'm not necessarily electrical savvy (CDI, Stator, Exciter coils/etc.)....

Background - 96 SLT 700 with updated ignition system I installed last year, ran great all summer except needed bearings in the pump replaced so I did that this spring and re-installed. This year I also adjusted the timing slightly on the flywheel to add a bit more in since while it ran okay, it was a bit soft on the throttle response.

I installed the battery and tried to start the ski last weekend and it fired up after a few rolls - ran for a minute or so and then died. I tried it again, it fired briefly - and died. Then nothing so I assumed I flooded it and left it sit overnight. I tried to fire it the next morning and it burped/tried to fire once - then nothing.

Going back to the drawing board I took a look..........and sure enough I'm not getting any spark at all now. I tried to charge the battery to make sure I was getting 10.6V or better starting - nothing. Took the battery out of the 98 SLTX which was starting fine - nothing. Wiring appears to be grounded to the motor still properly, didn't see any visible wiring damage, CDI box reset switch isn't tripped/etc.

- Anyone have any other spots to start before I get into trying to do all the ignition testing with a multimeter???? Seems strange to me that it ran for a little bit, tried to fire once, now is stone dead. I've had stators go bad in snowmobiles that acted strangely just like this before ---- so I'm REALLY hoping after spending $700+ last year i don't need a new one already.

Thx very much in advance guys for any potential "minor" problems I may be overlooking or could search for first!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    So even with two different batteries, no spark at all?

What is the battery voltage while cranking, with whatever battery is in there now?

It has the ignition update kit, but which stator is in there? Aftermarket or Polaris OEM (aka PVL)?

Does the electrical box also have the jumper wire between Orange terminals group and the Red/Purple CDI wire?

Correct K447 - and the battery from this boat just fires up a buddies SLT 780 no problem so I don’t believe that’s the problem at this point.

im pretty certain the jumper is there but I am going to open the CDI at this point. I don’t recall but I’m relatively certain it was not an OEM Polaris stator which is why I’m sort of leaning that direction. Especially since it ran briefly and then tried to fire. In my past electrical dealings usually if something has come loose or is burnt out/tripped it goes from running to not running straight up. This slow die/loss of Spark I’ve seen with stators slowly crapping out

i will however open the CDI and have a look!

+1
    One of the first things I do anymore on the 700 with no spark is check ac output voltage of the excitor.......normally where I find the issue.

Thx Myself!! Do you have a quick step by step on that particular test - or is it listed in the domestic engine testing sticky? I’ve got my multimeter up here now so can do some testing.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    ... check ac output voltage of the exciter....
    What AC voltage range do you normally see from a known good stator while the engine is cranking?

Does the measured AC voltage from the stator exciter coil change much between a disconnected stator and a stator still connected to the CDI?

+1
    I'll check my notebook. Thinking around 45vac.

...Found it!!
    Update and '00-'04
    Blk to pur excitor--- 5.5 ohms and 40-50vac while cranking, everything hooked up
    Yel to red/pur charge---0.75 ohm and 20vac cranking
    Last edited by Myself; 07-09-2019 at 04:35 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    I'll check my notebook. Thinking around 45vac.

...Found it!!
    Update and '00-'04
    Blk to pur excitor--- 5.5 ohms and 40-50vac while cranking, everything hooked up
    Yel to red/pur charge---0.75 ohm and 20vac cranking

Hate resurrecting an old thread but Myself - would these same specs hold true for a 97 SLT 700?

+1
    I'd have to check my notes, ohms would be different for the GEN1 ignition but AC voltage output is probably the same.

Thread Information