Smoke from engine?

Hello all:

We have a 2008 SeaDoo GTX LTD 215 with 50 hours on it. Supercharger rebuilt last year. Goes like a rocket! Today we were pulling a tube - 2 adults on the ski and 1 adult/2 kids on the tube. The adult on the tube said he could see smoke coming from the rear and could smell "burning". Everything looked fine when I checked it over; no high temp warnings; coolant level fine; oil level high. Could a high oil level (just above the top mark) cause oil burning when the engine was put under this load?

Anybody............. Bueller.............. Anybody???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
    Hello all:

We have a 2008 SeaDoo GTX LTD 215 with 50 hours on it. Supercharger rebuilt last year. Goes like a rocket! Today we were pulling a tube - 2 adults on the ski and 1 adult/2 kids on the tube. The adult on the tube said he could see smoke coming from the rear and could smell "burning". Everything looked fine when I checked it over; no high temp warnings; coolant level fine; oil level high. Could a high oil level (just above the top mark) cause oil burning when the engine was put under this load?
    Well, it is gas powered. Too much oil is not good, take some out and see. Are your spark plugs clean?

Unfortunately, not at the lake right now. Just wondered if anyone else had ever seen smoke cominmg from rear when their GTX had been inadvertently overfilled with oil (1/4" above the upper line).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
    Unfortunately, not at the lake right now. Just wondered if anyone else had ever seen smoke cominmg from rear when their GTX had been inadvertently overfilled with oil (1/4" above the upper line).
    On an old gtx 4 stroke ski I had a while back my fuel pump would stay running all the time due to faulty ecm. One injector leaked fuel a wee bit. Contaminated the oil and overfilled the crankcase. At idle all was good and no smoke at all, as soon as you gave it any amount of gas all he'll broke loose. White smoke that smelled like fuel filled the whole neighborhood. A quick look and smell of the dipstick told the tale.

Banned User
    +1
    Could just be steam which is normal and fuel burning which is normal. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see other signs, low oil, high oil, overheating, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    Could just be steam which is normal and fuel burning which is normal. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see other signs, low oil, high oil, overheating, etc.
    Yes, I thought it was steam at first. Could be normal fuel burning but the smell was much more like burning oil. Like I said, no warning indications - only thing off was the oil level (1/4" above the full mark on the dipstick cold, couldn't read it hot - oil up and down the dipstick made it hard to see where the real level was). Oil looks normal, smells normal (after it cools down some), coolant looks normal, too.

Only happens when the ski is loaded down, pulling a full tube, and nose up/tail down so I'm thinking (hoping!) it's OK.

Thread Information