Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is an impeller upgrade for a stock 1200 STX-R worth the money?

As many of you know I am in the process of basically rebuilding a 2002 1200 STX-R. I bought a used pump that I plan on rebuilding when I receive it. My existing pump is corroded creating a few high spots in the wear ring which can rub against the impeller. My stock impeller appears to be in decent condition but not perfect. I haven't removed it yet so I am not positive but the side I can see appears to be decent condition. I am planning on cleaning it up with a file and sand paper and that should be good enough. That got me thinking about replacing it with a new stock impeller or an aftermarket one.

Are there any real world improvements using an aftermarket impeller like Skat Trak or Solas with a stock motor? If so which one would you recommend. I love top speed but I would prefer a better hole shot if I had to choose. If the difference is minimal with a stock motor then I will probably just stay with the stock impeller.

I did search here but I didn't find much information.

+1
    I have used Solas before on my ski's, and with proper clearance, yes there is a noticeable difference. KG-CD-15/21 would be the stock replacement Solas for your ski. If your getting a used pump, I would put new bearings, seals, and shaft in it for security.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodsatheart View Post
    I have used Solas before on my ski's, and with proper clearance, yes there is a noticeable difference. KG-CD-15/21 would be the stock replacement Solas for your ski. If your getting a used pump, I would put new bearings, seals, and shaft in it for security.
    I already ordered a WSM pump rebuild kit minus a new shaft. I will have two complete pumps to choose a shaft from. I am hoping one of them will be good.

I found a KG-CD-15/21 for $176.65. I might end up buying it but I think I will test out my ski first to make sure it is reliable after all the work I have done. If it is I will buy a new impeller.

Are there any others I should consider for a stock ski?

+1
    Not sure if the 1200-stxr pump is the same as the 12 or 15Fs are but the most critical thing on these pumps is keeping the water out of the bearing housing. Also the second most critical thing is in order to have a good performing pump; the wear ring to impeller clearances need to be tight. Right now I am running a stock impeller and my clearance is .006". I take my pump apart twice a season to inspect and check everything. My impeller stock impeller crashed a few years ago cause the seals went bad and ingested salt water. Toasted everything. I was able to replace the wear ring and weld up the crashed stock impeller edges and machine it down to get the clearances I wanted. I have a few used impellers on the shelf as back ups as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TJS0712F View Post
    Not sure if the 1200-stxr pump is the same as the 12 or 15Fs are but the most critical thing on these pumps is keeping the water out of the bearing housing. Also the second most critical thing is in order to have a good performing pump; the wear ring to impeller clearances need to be tight. Right now I am running a stock impeller and my clearance is .006". I take my pump apart twice a season to inspect and check everything. My impeller stock impeller crashed a few years ago cause the seals went bad and ingested salt water. Toasted everything. I was able to replace the wear ring and weld up the crashed stock impeller edges and machine it down to get the clearances I wanted. I have a few used impellers on the shelf as back ups as well.
    What should the clearance be? Edit: I checked the service manual and it is .0059 - .0118 inches (0.15 - 0.3 mm).

If it isn't correct what do you do? I assume if it is too tight you can remove some material from the prop. If it is loose then the housing/wear ring would need to be replaced. Replacing the wear ring is almost impossible with the pump the 1200 STX-R uses. I imagine the blades of the prop can wear as well but since it is called a "wear ring" I assume most of the wear happens there. If that is the case and the gap is above .0118 inches (0.3mm) even with a new prop installed I assume the pump housing/wear ring would need to be replaced. I am replacing my existing housing now because corrosion has pushed the wear ring in creating a few high spots. Hopefully the wear ring in the used pump I just bought is in good condition and measures within tolerance. Standard size is 5.8268 - 5.8307 inches (148.0 -148.1mm) and service limit is 5.8701 inches (149.1 mm).
    Last edited by beekermartin; 07-03-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Pumps are the same...

+1
    Shafts are cheap (comparatively speaking). I changed the one on my 1100 because it was bent. Not sure how, it was that way when I got it. Was easy to find because one blade was tight. Normally when clearance is loose, it's the impeller (in my experience). I would keep the clearance between .006 and .010. Anything over .010 (again, my experience) the pump is not building as much pressure and starting to slip some. My 1100 is at .006 right now. rebuilt and new Solas impeller. Remember, grease is your best friend in that pump. Don't skimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodsatheart View Post
    Shafts are cheap (comparatively speaking). I changed the one on my 1100 because it was bent. Not sure how, it was that way when I got it. Was easy to find because one blade was tight. Normally when clearance is loose, it's the impeller (in my experience). I would keep the clearance between .006 and .010. Anything over .010 (again, my experience) the pump is not building as much pressure and starting to slip some. My 1100 is at .006 right now. rebuilt and new Solas impeller. Remember, grease is your best friend in that pump. Don't skimp.
    Once I receive the new to me pump and get it rebuilt I will measure the clearance with my stock prop and see what I have. I think once I know that I can decide if buying an aftermarket prop is worth it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    What should the clearance be? Edit: I checked the service manual and it is .0059 - .0118 inches (0.15 - 0.3 mm).

If it isn't correct what do you do? I assume if it is too tight you can remove some material from the prop. If it is loose then the housing/wear ring would need to be replaced. Replacing the wear ring is almost impossible with the pump the 1200 STX-R uses. I imagine the blades of the prop can wear as well but since it is called a "wear ring" I assume most of the wear happens there. If that is the case and the gap is above .0118 inches (0.3mm) even with a new prop installed I assume the pump housing/wear ring would need to be replaced. I am replacing my existing housing now because corrosion has pushed the wear ring in creating a few high spots. Hopefully the wear ring in the used pump I just bought is in good condition and measures within tolerance. Standard size is 5.8268 - 5.8307 inches (148.0 -148.1mm) and service limit is 5.8701 inches (149.1 mm).
    I had too much clearance cause of my crash I had. I welded up the edges of my impeller and machined them down. I have a large post on this. I also replaced my wear ring. Pretty straight forward.

You really should find TJS0712F's thread. Its pretty epic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information