+1

1995 sl750 starter motor fried?

Weíve been running great since last year. Today we started it on the beach cart without issue and it ran for a few seconds until we turned it off Ė we always do this before putting it in the water. We got it in the water and my son had a bit of brain fart and tried to start it again a bunch of times without the lanyard in the safety switch. Once this was discovered we put the lanyard in and tried to start it a few more times. It almost turned over (probably flooded), then tried again but only got a relay click. We tried another battery thinking we drained the one, but still only a relay click.

I opened the electrical box and checked the fuse and circuit breaker but they tested fine. I then shorted the terminals on the relay between the big red power cables with nothing. This leads be to believe itís either a problem with the motor or a break in the power between the power terminal in the relay and the motor. Does this make sense?

Also, can the starter motor be removed without pulling the gas tank? This one thing I havenít done yet.

+1

Okay, answering my own question: you can get at the starter motor by detaching the exhaust expansion chamber and sliding it forward.

After removing the starter motor and hooking it back up to the power wire and grounding it to the block, the starter motor will turn when pressing the start button and it seems strong meaning I felt lots of torque in my hand while holding it as it started.

So I reinstalled it. Once in I had the same result as before Ė the relay would click but the engine wonít turn over. This has me thinking the starter bendix may be jammed which I hope it isnít because I just replaced it last summer and I really donít know how it could jam to the point of preventing the starter motor from turning?! Btw, I can still rotate the drive shaft easily by hand with the spark plugs out.

I really hate the idea of pulling the gas tank, front cover and flywheel to get at the bendix to find out that itís not that.

Any other ideas before I try that?

+1

Okay, removed the starter motor again and stuck a large flat bladed screwdriver into the bendix. It would not budge. To be honest, Iím not really sure how it could get jammed to the point of not turning. Iím afraid of what Iíll find in there now.

Edit: never mind, just remembered the starter motor pinion engages with the bendix on an outer edge gear so a screwdriver wouldnít do much regardless. Going to have to open it up tomorrow. Grrrrrrrr!
    Last edited by SeaBee63; 07-01-2019 at 05:41 PM.

+1
    Okay then, I'll continue this conversation with myself because you never know who this may help in the future...

I pulled the gas tank and the front off the motor. Bendix seems fine and starter motor engages with it smoothly. Drive/crankshart turn easily and smoothly with the plugs out.

What i did find was a sheared woodruff key! I'm not entirely sure why this would result in only a relay click and prevent the starter motor from running, but this is the only apparent flaw or failure on the engine. The only theory I can come up with is maybe part of the key got wedged between the starter motor pinion and the bendix gear. Would love to hear other theories.

Anyway, thankfully the woodruff key is common among quite a few late model Polaris ATVs and my local dealer (15kms) has a few.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBee63 View Post
    Okay then, I'll continue this conversation with myself because you never know who this may help in the future...

I pulled the gas tank and the front off the motor. Bendix seems fine and starter motor engages with it smoothly. Drive/crankshart turn easily and smoothly with the plugs out.

What i did find was a sheared woodruff key! I'm not entirely sure why this would result in only a relay click and prevent the starter motor from running, but this is the only apparent flaw or failure on the engine. The only theory I can come up with is maybe part of the key got wedged between the starter motor pinion and the bendix gear. Would love to hear other theories.

Anyway, thankfully the woodruff key is common among quite a few late model Polaris ATVs and my local dealer (15kms) has a few.
    Unlike a lawnmower, on the Polaris engines the key is mostly a guide to ensure the flywheel is properly indexed onto the end of the crank shaft. The Polaris woodruff key is a fairly hard metal, not intended to shear under load.

There is supposed to be a thin film of red (IIRC) Loctite smeared onto the tapered crank snout, and that loctite compound, combined with the torque on the flywheel nut, is supposed to keep the flywheel from moving on the crank.

Said another way, if you could accurately slide the flywheel onto the crank with the key missing, the engine could still be assembled and run properly, just with the loctite and the nut torque.

+1
    Out of curiosity, did you try pulling the spark plugs and turning the motor over? You said it may be flooded, if so that could keep the motor from turning over.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper182 View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you try pulling the spark plugs and turning the motor over? You said it may be flooded, if so that could keep the motor from turning over.
    Good idea but that definitely wasn't the issue. When pressing the starter button the only noise from the engine was the relay clicking. No starter motor or bendix engagement sound. When I removed the spark plugs the crank turned easily and there was no excessive fuel (or any other fluid) in any of the cylinders.

+1
    New woodruff key installed. All screws, bolts, and nuts, torqued to spec with blue or red permatex where required. Engine started right up like it did before this incident. All I can think of was maybe a part of the sheared woodruff key or a chip of metal from somewhere else became jammed in the starter motor / bendix gears.

My son did say today after riding for about 30 minutes that performance seemed better. I figure this might be due to the flywheel being indexed correctly to the crankshaft and the timing now being accurate.

Thread Information