Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

07 RXT 215 , 69 hours Head Gasket already?

Hello Everyone,
    long time creeper of the forum and itís come time to make my first post. I have a mint 2007 RXT 215 with only 69 hours on it. The ski has been used in saltwater but lives in fresh water as I live on a pond. The ski had been running well for the first few rides of the season however I did notice that my top speed was a few miles per hour slower then previous years. This last weekend I was riding and got a P1115 code with the alarm. I limped the ski back to my dock and removed my seat, coolant had spewed out of the clear hose attached to the coolant reservoir. The reservoir was empty. I let the ski cool down and started feeling around under the motor possibly for a broken hose clamp or something, I was unable to locate anything. My pond does have a lot of algae and Lilly pads which I try to avoid at all costs however sometimes they do get run over. Is it possible the water Intake is clogged? Would this have any affect on the coolant coming from the over flow hose?If so, how would I clear this and attempt to flush anything out? Could it be the head gasket with such low hours? The ski has been meticulously maintained. Just looking for some advice to see if I canít fix this myself before bothering the dealership.

Thanks fir for any help provided, Sean

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    pressure test the engine cooling system. you might have a leak from the rideplate, which are at times hard to detect. top up the cooling system with some straight green full strength antifreeze, that will make a ride plate leak easier to detect.

you can rent a pressure tester at a good auto parts store for a few bucks. pull the plugs first and check for anitfreeze droplets

check to make sure the smaller water hoses going to the exhaust pipe are clear, since when they do clog, it gets expensive really fast

+1
    And?......

I brought the ski to a guy I found online through recommendations. He said that all of the indicators were there for a blown head-gasket. I gave him the go-ahead and he replaced the head-gasket. He put it all back together and said the compression was super low, I forget the exact specs but something like 75, ,80, and 97. He told me that he believes there is internal damage to the engine. This is all very hard for me to believe because the ski has lived a very easy life. He recommends I rebuild the engine for around $4-4$k......he also stated “or I could give you $1000 for it for parts” I didn’t like that statement and I’m suspicious of the entire thing. Any input?

+1
    id be giving anybody who would do a head gasket without first doing a compression test a super big stink eye

who is this guy and who suggested him, you could have certainly done better

blowing coolant is certainly a bad head gasket, but perhaps had this "guy" checked the head for flatness you might have gotten off with just an extra $100 or two in machine shop charges

take it to somebody else. what did he charge for the head gasket replacement?

where are you located?

He did do a compression test prior to replacing head-gasket, he said all cylinders went up about 5-10PSI. He charged me $1000 for the head-gasket replacement. I am from just south of Boston MA. Upon initially having issues with the ski I called a bunch of people and it was really hard to find someone to work on it. The “local” Sea Doo dealership will not work on anything over 10 years old.
    Bear with me as I don’t know much about jet skis/engines but are you saying that if he checked to make sure the head wasn’t warped then maybe it could have been machined flat? Prior to the new headgasket install?

The Business is called “Cape Cod Jet Sports”. They are a mobile jet ski repair shop from what their site said, originally stated they would be coming to my house to do an on site replacement of the head gasket and then later had me bring it 45 minutes away to a guy’s house where they also work on the skis. https://ccjetsports.com/

+1
    so he supposedly changed a head gasket on a ski with low compression across the board?

first clue to a hack is "mobile business" when they don\t have an actual commercial location.

I do visits to the local marinas, but everybody in town knows where my shop is

you don\t change a headgasket in "some guys garage" and then charge a grand for it

I took a look at his web site

I doubt he replaced the head bolts either, which by the way is required

guys like this make my blood boil

I kinda doubt if he's registered to collect sales tax either, which makes him no better then any guy with a toolbox

check with the state to see if he's legit. If not ask for a 50% discount as he didn't detect that the engine was bad before doing that work.

Hopefully another member will give you a solid suggestion for a competent wrench within your driving range

if you were running with the overheat alarm for more then a couple of minutes, you likely warped the head.

that would require the head and possibly the cylinder to be " decked" or resurfaced to flatness. the cylinder bores in extreme cases also warp from roundness but by then the engine seizes due to overly hot motor oil.

hopefully your experience will send up a flag for anybody else looking to get an old ski fixed right

sometimes you have to take a days drive to find the right shop

so does anybody have a local shop pointer?

The jet ski was run for no more then 30 seconds when the alarm went off. However, i did get the alarm twice after the first time I parked the ski and let it cool down. I started it later and rode until the alarm came on again and then pulled it out of the water.
    He did say that the head bolts would be replaced when doing the job. I am a little suspicious as he offered to buy the ski from me for “parts”. He did state that he’d give me $1000 for the ski. I’m pretty suspicious of this entire thing now and def not happy learning that he should have checked other things prior to just replacing the Head-gasket. I’ve searched and searched I can’t seem to find anyone around here that is a reputable jet ski mechanic. I think at thisi point I just want the thing gone so I don’t have to deal with the headache. I also don’t have an extra 3-4 grand laying around to “rebuild” the engine.

+1
    lets see some photos all around and the engine bay, I'd put the value with the trailer at $2000-2500 depending on cosmetics and hull bottom condition

seems that cape cod is full of mobile marine service guys

I'd put it on ebay at $2500 and hope for a quick sell

fyi, for somebody like me grabbing it for $1000 would be a major score. just the console from that ski is worth $400+, ecu and key another 300-500, pump 200 and so on

and a rebuildable engine core $500+ easy

seats another $250

you said the ski was mint. lets see her.

in regards to a head gasket failure at low hours, it more about time and other factors such as operation, oil quality and so on

any water ingestion events could easily damage the engine

the nada book value on it is close to 4k, Kelly blue is $4k retail, so if it's in really good shape cosmetically, you could get $2500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information