2013 Yamaha VXR 1.8L NA

Hey All,

I am looking at a 2013 vxr na 1.8l; great deal. Do these engines have the timing chain issue? It is not a SVHO just a ho. Is there anything else I should should be worried about? How’s the reliability?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    What kinds of water would you be riding in?

Passengers or solo?

Yamaha redesigned the VXR for 2015, now it is much better in rough water, overall a more modern hull. And it includes the RiDE system, which I recommend over the prior mechanical reverse.

The Yamaha 1.8 liter engine has a good reputation, especially the non-supercharged HO version. Ask for service history, mainly oil and filter change history. Check cylinder compression, and of course look the hull bottom over for signs of significant repairs or other damage.

The hull paint Yamaha uses is quite soft so paint scuffing is normal and not to worry about. Actual grooves and divots into the material is not.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What kinds of water would you be riding in?

Passengers or solo?

Yamaha redesigned the VXR for 2015, now it is much better in rough water, overall a more modern hull. And it includes the RiDE system, which I recommend over the prior mechanical reverse.

The Yamaha 1.8 liter engine has a good reputation, especially the non-supercharged HO version. Ask for service history, mainly oil and filter change history. Check cylinder compression, and of course look the hull bottom over for signs of significant repairs or other damage.

The hull paint Yamaha uses is quite soft so paint scuffing is normal and not to worry about. Actual grooves and divots into the material is not.
    I live up in northern Ontario. We do passenger riding often. The waves are not huge as it will not be used on large bodies of water. Used more on large rivers and such.

so this model does not have the timing chain issues?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bleclair View Post
    I live up in northern Ontario. We do passenger riding often.

The waves are not huge as it will not be used on large bodies of water. Used more on large rivers and such.

so this model does not have the timing chain issues?
    My understanding (which may be incomplete) is that all the 1.8 liter engines prior to 2016 used the same timing chain. After 2016 the timing chain was revised. Most, but not all, of the pre-2016 timing chain reports involved the SVHO (and SHO?) engines, not the non-supercharged HO version.

I have seen a few reports, but not many, of timing chain failures pre-2016 on HO. Overall the HO 1.8 liter engine prior to 2016 does not seem particularly prone to timing chain issues.

My suggestion would be to first select the hull generation you want. The modern and slightly larger VX hull with RiDE or the prior generation VX hull (which will have a few mph faster top speed)?

That will basically determine which engine (timing chain) you get.

Where in northern Ontario?
    Click on My Profile, near top right corner of the GH web site, you can add your location.

+1
    I have a 2013 VXR purchased in 2015 with 157 hours. Fresh water only and do all the service sooner than the manual such as 40-50 hour oil and filter changes with plugs, mid bearing grease, a once over check twice a season. Never had a problem except for the flush hose leaking some water. Ribbon is out and a Riva air filter. As mentioned, the timing chains were mostly on the SHO and SVHO and especially when modded. It runs 68-69mph via gps. It has manual reverse by the right hand. Also, as mentioned, the 2015 and on hull was bettter in rougher water but slower by about 5mph. I normally ride it in up to two footers. I've been in up to 6 footers which is actually fun. I've had only one passenger and it handled well. Just picked up an FX this year for rough water. Much better but still miss the fun of the VXR and take it out too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bleclair View Post
    Hey All,

I am looking at a 2013 vxr na 1.8l; great deal. Do these engines have the timing chain issue? It is not a SVHO just a ho. Is there anything else I should should be worried about? How’s the reliability?

You made a good choice in looking at the older model VXR's. These ski's are very reliable and have no timing chain issues. All of the timing chain issues were the 2014-2016 SVHO's. the VXR is not supercharged so it has better reliabilty and less maintenace than the SVHO's. I have a 2016 VXR and it has 109 hours on it with no issues. the 1.8 liter HO engines are very reliable all the way from 2011-2019. Also the gas mileage is really good!!

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead74 View Post
    You made a good choice in looking at the older model VXR's. These ski's are very reliable and have no timing chain issues. All of the timing chain issues were the 2014-2016 SVHO's. the VXR is not supercharged so it has better reliabilty and less maintenace than the SVHO's. I have a 2016 VXR and it has 109 hours on it with no issues. the 1.8 liter HO engines are very reliable all the way from 2011-2019. Also the gas mileage is really good!!
    175 hours on my 15 and still runs like new.

No tc issues and that’s a hot rod ski!!!

Thread Information