2007 RXP shut off WOT, CEL... Help?

I was hoping to get some help.

I was running up and down the river out here today.... machine was flawless ( 2007 RXP 127ET, 4" Kanaflex, 14/19, SS wear ring, new oil, plugs and coolant 80hrs)

It was just near the end of the day and I was driving it like I stole it.... when all of a sudden it died at pretty much @ WOT.... gauges rebooted .. then said Check Engine.... my heart sank.

It did generate a P code ...but only once and after I tried to reset and start with the key it did not display again.. ( I will have to get it read, live and learn )

Now the moment this happened, I am semi-far from home and would need my buddy to limp me back.....so after it cranked and did not start once or twice, I figured we should move to plan B, the tow of shame.

While we were setting up the tow, the disbelief and hope in me caused me to cycle the key and Viola', it started and I was able to ride home at cautiously @ partial throttle and then 3-5 mph through a No wake.. No WOT travel just in case.

I know I should just go have the code read asap ( and I will)... but I am dying to get some opinions.

My first stab:

The rectifier was blazing hot and I wonder if it over/under-regulated tripping a shutdown..... the "crank, fuel and apparently no spark" would say something wasn't electrically ready at that moment.

after the 5-8 mins with the hood open, she turned over.

Any thoughts as to what could have caused this?

Any and all answers really appreciated, Have a great night!!

TJ

+1
    Definitely check your battery connections make sure they are tight, if you can find out the code and post it, that will definitely help Troubleshoot.

Psy,

Thanks very much for the reply.

Yeah the battery is solid and in good shape, I haven't load tested it , but it starts well every time. I do see the point in building resistance so the rectifier " backs Up " and loads with more heat.

I was thinking about just swapping to the newer style? But tell me, in your setup.... do you have the storage bin in and where is the rectifier.

Mine is fins in facing the K&N ( thought air may flow a little over them that way ) but the storage bin is in.

Is candooo pro the only game in town still, or can I get a cable an just some other software to read codes?

Thanks,

TJ

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehota View Post
    Psy,

Thanks very much for the reply.

Yeah the battery is solid and in good shape, I haven't load tested it , but it starts well every time. I do see the point in building resistance so the rectifier " backs Up " and loads with more heat.

I was thinking about just swapping to the newer style? But tell me, in your setup.... do you have the storage bin in and where is the rectifier.

Mine is fins in facing the K&N ( thought air may flow a little over them that way ) but the storage bin is in.

Is candooo pro the only game in town still, or can I get a cable an just some other software to read codes?

Thanks,

TJ
    Can-do pro or buds is the only way to read the codes currently. Originally the rectifier was inside the stock airbox as the air sucks through it ,it cools the fins some. When you do the aftermarket air intakes, you remove the stock air box and mount it on an aluminum bracket next to the battery, on the tiedown bolt.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    i'm getting too old to remember but I believe on an 07 if you press the set button five time with the key on it will display the last couple of stored codes ( assuming the battery was not disconnected)

welcome aboard GH!

"tow of shame"..gotta love you there ...

I'd be taking a guess and looking at fuel pressure after checking the charging system. after all the pump is 12 years old and the sock might be breaking up from ethanol exposure

low fuel pressure will not throw a ck eng light however, but a charging system problem will.

who can read the dash going 60 anyway?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    i'm getting too old to remember but I believe on an 07 if you press the set button five time with the key on it will display the last couple of stored codes ( assuming the battery was not disconnected)
    Mode & set buttons were Only on the 04-05’s

Yes unfortunately, this is Start and Stop with VTS.... only ....

Rectifier situation: Maybe I will mount it down at the battery with a fan blowing across the fins

BTW was doing 71 according to my last GPS timestamp closest to the event, soon to be filled with the stinging pangs of humility and regret for bombing on it for 15-18 mins straight...... it just pulls hard through the midrange like an ol' 2 stroke bike in the powerband and the SC whistles just right. It is downright seductive!

I want to get a F1000 like my boat has ( C180 / 90 hrs / 52 mph all the same mods + rideplate holes, and Fizzle IC ) I just dont want to make it drone, do I have to delete resonator?... I am pretty good with my hands, it is tight back there.
    Maybe an XS Charger? / Ebay / Stock 255/260?

Been on here since 2017 when I built up the Challenger

I will say on 85-90 degree day the Challenger has not restarted once or twice until it "cools" ( the rectifier is zip tied to the harness near the back fresh air inlet )

Having the ski just shut down was scary.....I knew I didn't pull the lanyard.... oh well.....she purred on the way home no Low 12v light. .......................................Off to scan it.
    Last edited by Tehota; 06-25-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Thread Information