03 msx 140 fuel tank pressure

Random question, on my msx 140 when i unscrewed the gas cap there would always be some pressurized air that would blow out when i took the cap off. The past two days it hasnít done it, am i going crazy or is that ok? I did the fuel pressure regulator fix last year and scoped the tank today to check it and its still in place.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    While it requires the fuel tank venting check valve to be in place and working, whether there is a noticeable difference between internal and outside air pressure also depends on the local weather.

If the air pressure inside the tank and the outside air pressure are about equal, then there would not be much of a whoosh when the gas cap is removed.

I put a tank and a half of fuel thru it the past two days. Even after sitting in the sun there was no pressure build up. It runs fine, no issues with it what so ever. I just noticed the sudden lack of whoosh and was concerned. The check valve has never been touched so im wondering if its sticking. Im going to try and lightly pressurize the tank tomorrow and see if its leaking.

I have also switched to 93 octane only with an ethanol treatment with each tank. Would that effect anything?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeramvt View Post
    I have also switched to 93 octane only with an ethanol treatment with each tank. Would that effect anything?
    Donít see how/why it would significantly affect fuel tank pressure.

I pressure tested the tank and the leak is at the gas cap. The rubber o ring is not sealing properly. So im going to replace it and should be good.

Thread Information