Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2019 FX SVHO - Hull Damage with 1 Hour on the Clock

Okay before I get into details I know I should have been more observant before accepting delivary.

Anyways I picked up my new 2019 FX SVHO this Saturday from dealer with 0 hours. I didnt get a chance to ride it Saturday, but was able to get out last night for an hour to break it in. The ski was unloaded and loaded by hand onto and off of the trailer. The trailer was completely submerged before ski was removed. Trailer is a Karavan Aluminum Single. Ski was anchored out in the water to park the truck and retrieve it at the end of my ride. I followed the break in procedures and everything went great. Upon getting home I rinsed it off with a garden hose and started to dry it off. When I got to the underside of the hull I crawled under the trailer and was shocked to see scratches down both sides of hull about an inch INSIDE of where my bunks are. Some of the scratches even removed all of the RED paint and Black is now showing through. Is Black a Base Coat or is it already rubbed down to the NanoXCell 2 material? Remember the ski only has an hour on it.

I immediately took some pictures and sent them to my dealer. He responded this morning over the phone that my bunk carpets must be too stiff or I hit something on the water. They said to bring it in so they can take a look at it, but I can already tell they are going to deny they had any fault in the matter.

I know I should have got down and looked underneath better before I took delivery, but I made the $15,000 mistake and now I have to try to resolve it.

What I believe happened is that the dealers forks on their tractor did the damage when moving the ski to my trailer. Upon asking the dealer if this could have been possible they said "No Way the forks are just underneath to support it, the weight is carried by a strap hooked to the edges"
    It appears to be cosmetic (I hope) and I know I will get scratched over time, but to have these without even an hour on the ski is disappointing.

My questions are:

1) How would you approach the situation with the dealer?
    2) Do I need to worry about hull soaking up and water with the outter coating removed?
    3) Should I contact Yamaha directly or the BBB?
    4) Will the warranty cover anything like this?
    5) Do I just ride it as is and if any damage comes of this down the road file an insurance claim?
    6) Do I press the dealer to make this right somehow?
    7) What kind of response or compensation would you be looking for from the dealer?

Pictures attached. Again these are down both sides of the hull from the front almost down to the Intake Grate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190623_184048.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	450037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190623_184109.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	450038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190623_184151.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	450039   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190623_184516.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	450040  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

The factory paint Yamaha uses is beyond soft. Just rubbing the paint with a clean micro-fiber cloth can leave micro-scratches

Right behind the super thin soft paint layer is a much thicker and much tougher hull ‘outer shell’ material. This layer is about 1-2mm thick, smooth hard material, black color.

The actual NanoXcel hull fibrous core material is behind the tough black layer. It is a dark gray color and when exposed is visibly different from the shell layer.

My own GP1800 had the paint rubbed away where the bow roller was pressing on the hull. Before it ever went in the water, after a 20 minute ride home from the dealer.

The ‘automotive grade’ soft+thin paint Yamaha uses, and the laminated CM-Tech acrylic finish Seadoo now uses, are just much more fragile than the old-school genuine gel-coat of the older fiberglass watercraft hulls. Or the older generations of molded SMC hulls.

Just sliding the Yamaha hull on and off a normal carpeted (not badly worn or age hardened) set of trailer bunks will transfer paint color onto the bunks. As will normal hull jiggle against the bunk carpet while going down the road.

Personally, I have just accepted that any modern Yamaha with painted hull bottom is going to show marks. From your post it would appear that just the colored paint layer has been affected. The actual hull material is probably 100% intact and the missing paint will not affect on-water performance or hull longevity.

The same fragile paint is also used for the top deck. Expect to see marks appear. I have dozens or places where the red paint is gone, showing the glossy black layer below.

Thanks for the response. Puts me a little bit at ease. I was torn between a new Yamaha or Sea-Doo and after reading a lot of posts and forums on here and Facebook groups I decided the Yamaha was much more reliable Motor Wise, etc. Suppose I would rather have cosmetic issues than have it be in the shop for a carbon seal, failed IBR, etc. Just surprising such an expensive machine would use such thin paint!

+1
    FWIW my 2017 FXHO's hull looks like that already after 3 seasons and only 61 hours. The paint in my footwells is also bubbling. I was disappointed but it's a waverunner and I'll continue riding it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyB80 View Post
    FWIW my 2017 FXHO's hull looks like that already after 3 seasons and only 61 hours. The paint in my footwells is also bubbling. I was disappointed but it's a waverunner and I'll continue riding it.
    Foot well bubbles is usually sorted under warranty if it appears during warranty period...

+1
    Shit you should see the bottom of my 2009 FZR...very rough, beach it all the time, no water leaks, no paint left, runs great. the old drag boat guys used to sand the back half of their hulls for speed...look at a photo of a low drag bomb on a jet...rough. the first few scratches on a new machine are the hardest, you might take it to the dealer and negotiate a few oil changes or something. a brand new ski should not have a scratch like that. the dealer will say that since you have ridden it you must have hit something.

Just wait until you see it at a 100 hours.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raven007 View Post
    Just wait until you see it at a 100 hours.
    Whatever yo do, do not beach your skis as some have admitted. These hulls just don't take that kind of abuse without eventually getting pitted.
    When I went to pick up my brand new 2018 svho the same thing happened to me. When I got home I noticed the gouges running down on each side of the splines. I took it back and made them repaint the bottom of it for me. It's mainly because some of these dealerships get so used 2 the norm and not re doing their bunks on the dolly's. It doesn't look like your bunks are even touching anywhere near where those scratches are. Most likely it has come from the dollies that they pull them off of. You could easily show them where your bunks lineup and show him that they are not even touching the strakes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockect57 View Post

My questions are:

1) How would you approach the situation with the dealer?
    2) Do I need to worry about hull soaking up and water with the outter coating removed?
    3) Should I contact Yamaha directly or the BBB?
    4) Will the warranty cover anything like this?
    5) Do I just ride it as is and if any damage comes of this down the road file an insurance claim?
    6) Do I press the dealer to make this right somehow?
    7) What kind of response or compensation would you be looking for from the dealer?

Pictures attached. Again these are down both sides of the hull from the front almost down to the Intake Grate.

Well ... not seeing "hull damage" as the title of this thread states. I AM however seeing some paint rubbed off ... either a fork-lift, or dry-loading onto the trailer.

As others have already stated... your hull is black with a single stage paint applied - it really doesn't take much to marr it off - hence soft.

Questions/concerns:

1) you simply convey your dissatisfaction with their prep'ing process and urge they take a little more care, as perception is everything in this business.
    2) No. Polyester-based fiber-glass would soak up water. The SMC / Nano hulls won't. AKA, you could litterally ride a naked hull (no paint) & no worries there.
    3) How much do you make an hour at your real job. Time is money. If you want to "call out" this dealership for piss-poor QA delivery, you'll get more "bang for the buck" simply posting on social media - hey you already did that - cool.
    4) Depends on how "loud" you are. Really want to be that guy. Nothing stays new forever ... I'd rather just ride that thing and enjoy yourself!
    5) Again, being it just "paint" under there, you'll quickly realise there are a ton more paint rubbing you can do yourself just fine. The hull (bare) is going to be just fine. It's a Yamaha - hulls are built so well, not evening missing paint will hurt them.
    6) refer to answer #3.
    7) Free life jacket??

Sorry if there some sarcasm sprinkled into those answers ... please don't shoot the messenger. Just keeping it real.
    Here's the sad part, and I do get it ... you paid gobs of money, your expectation are set high. This is your new baby. If this were the hood of a new car... ABSOLUTELY !!! there's an issue here. However.... it's the underside of a ski where that same paint will rub away just the same - even under your careful care. If this were a white hull & white paint, it'd be hard to notice. If anything Yamaha should wise-up to maybe applying a red pigment to the SMC hull - hey, that's an idea!

I wasn't kidding about the hull being built well... older hulls of the distant past WERE fiberglass, so the risk of water penetration was a real concern. As such, these hulls also had a gel-coat integrated as a type of barrier. So in regards to Yamaha, you might consider the entire hull itself an in penetrable "gel-coat" - thus they just paint it to color match the body.

So, knowing this about Yamaha's is good consumer info, lesson learned ... aka "if" I were ever to buy a new yamaha AND aesthetics were a big concern of mine ... I might want to focus on white (or black) paint schemes to better disguise such wear & tear - as I've only ever seen white or black tinted SMC.

I really hope you just ride it and enjoy yourself! Seriously.

19 FX SVHO

Does somebody sell white touch-up paint for the hull, if the black shows? (I need a bottle Yamaha white-out)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information