Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rebuilding the oil system on '98 XL1200

I have a 1998 XL1200 in questionable condition. Carbs are the first thing I need to go through, along with fuel lines. Then, I need to ensure the oil system is working. Is there a rebuild kit I can get for the oil pump, and what size lines does it need? Is the oil pumping system on the front of the motor? Thanks in advance!

+1
    Yes it's up front on the cover. I disassembled the pump on an old seadoo 717. I couldn't find a rebuild kit but decided to take it apart anyway to see how it looked, it was perfect inside. I misplaced a tiny hardened disk and had to purchase a used Ebay pump to get that part (it was maybe $7 shipped).

You probably don't need to go through it unless you found dirt/debris in the system. The biggest concern will be the condition of the oil hoses and proper attachment/clamping of the oil hoses.

+1
    Exactly. Just worry about getting new hoses and very secure clamps. The preferred clamps are oetiker clamps. Someone can chime in on hose size, I canít remember. Itís metric, but most people use a standard imperial size and clamp it on very well. I used ended ordering several pieces of the longest OEM oil hose on parts diagram. I cut them to length leaving plenty of slack and room for movement and shrinkage. A short, tight hose might pop off and ruin the engine from lack of lube.

+1
    Tygon fuel line from any weed wacker repair shop.

slower lower Delaware. And have a cottage on finger lake in upstate NY.
    +1
    The pump to carb hose is 1/8". Most just use tygon tubing to replace with. You can get it from sbt, wsm, or your local small engine shop or Yamaha dealers.
    The pumps rarely if ever fail. 99.9% of the time it's a hose. Be sure to leave plenty of slack. clamp well and prime the system. I use the drill method after priming the pump. Use a 6point 1/4" drive socket with extention driven counter clockwise on the pump shaft to prime the lines to carbs.
    Be sure to clean the filter in the oil tank and put in a new filter seal. This is also the tank sending unit. The tank can get pretty sludgy in the bottom.

So Tygon line for the oil system. Same for fuel? I want to do that as well. Specific sizes to get for line and hose clamps? Thanks in advance!

Where does the line that is off the pump go?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190616_150524.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	449788

+1
    The line that's missing from the pump could be either going to a carb or the return to the tank.

+1
    If this sys is like my gpr you have a short piece of 3/8" line at the tank then a reducer to 5/16 that continues to the pump. Then 1/8 from there on.

Is there a benefit to using the clear hose vs a fuel house for the oil stuff? Is fuel hose in this ski 1/4"?

+1
    I've got an oil pump w all lines hooked up, I'll try to get you a pic tomorrow eve so you know what lines are what.
    1/8 tygon lets you see the oil while priming the lines and is usually a bit more flexible. As previously said, make sure there is slack / extra line bowed a little so they never get tight and pull off like the oem lines do.
    Fuel is 1/4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information