What Is This For

Still reassembling my 2011 300 Ultra LX motor. Lots of distractions like this thing called "work." Anyway got new oil pump installed, catch cover and oil strainer bolted back on/ready to put oil pan back on when I noticed this threaded bolt hole. Picture is looking down on oil pump sprocket and chain. The hole is same size as the ones for oil pump, catch cover and strainer (8mm), but I don't have any extra bolts laying around, so I give up. What if anything goes there? It's the hole lined up with the chain, not the one on left which is oil pan bolt hole.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4148.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	449765  

+1
    Oil pump chain tensioner spring goes into that rounded slot. The spring cover goes over the slot. Bolt holds it in place.

Thanks Grumpy, mine doesn't have that, but now I know/can continue.

+1
    Just disassembled the same motor and didn't notice that there was no oil pump chain guide.

I have all of the parts from the motor. Let me know if you need anything.

My year (2011) doesn't have chain guide for the oil pump chain. It wasn't there when I took engine apart and it doesn't show in the parts diagram. I don't see why you'd need one either; the chain is pretty snug.

+1
    newer skis dont have/need them

7. +1 by:

Too bad Kawi didn't bother to drop a hint somewhere about that. They could have maybe put it in parts diagram then out beside it say "not installed after Model year 20xx." But hey, I get it they can't think of everything. Besides it's fun to wrack your brain wondering wtf went into that threaded hole right there?

Thread Information