+1

DYI nozzle alignment tool

I made an inexpensive tool for checking/adjusting the alignment of the turn/trim nozzle. Get a section of 3" sch. 40 PVC. 2-3 feet long works good. Home Depot had drops 3' long. Then sand the O.D. down to fit inside the turn nozzle and into the pump nozzle. I measured the O.D. of the 3" PVC to be approx. 88mm so it does not require a lot of sanding. However, I used a 3" flapper wheel on an air tool and it still took some time to get it down to the right size. You need to have it the correct O.D. at least 3.5" in length and taper the end more to go into the pump nozzle. Inserting the pipe 3.5" inside the turn nozzle should put it about 1/2" inside the pump nozzle to give you a good alignment. Remove the trim control cable from the nozzle and insert the pipe. That will be neutral trim. Then adjust the cable length to fit the nozzle in that position with the tube in. check the handle bars while looking down at the pipe. Adjust the turn cable if necessary to ensure the handle bars are horizontal when the pipe is pointed straight back.

NOTE: One thing I learned while doing this was my turn nozzle was not round. It was oval shaped. It measured 89mm ID top to bottom and only 86mm side to side. So I used the flapper wheels to open up the turn nozzle on the sides to 88mm You really don't want the turn nozzle restricting water flow once it leaves the pump. It needs to be equal to or slightly greater than the ID of the pump nozzle.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	449732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0414.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	449733   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0419.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	449734  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post

NOTE: One thing I learned while doing this was my turn nozzle was not round. It was oval shaped. It measured 89mm ID top to bottom and only 86mm side to side. ...

You really don't want the turn nozzle restricting water flow once it leaves the pump. It needs to be equal to or slightly greater than the ID of the pump nozzle.

What ski is this on?

The factory oval steering nozzle shape was done to improve steering response, correct?

Have you compared steering response of the oval nozzle with the rounded and enlarged steering nozzle?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What ski is this on?

The factory oval steering nozzle shape was done to improve steering response, correct?

Have you compared steering response of the oval nozzle with the rounded and enlarged steering nozzle?
    2016 FX SVHO That's probably the reason. Have not tested yet but don't see a need to be THAT responsive! I'd prefer to have the flow unrestricted and turn the barns one more degree.

it will also affect your top end opening it up. testing was done years ago when they first came out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    it will also affect your top end opening it up. testing was done years ago when they first came out.
    I believe that is true on the pump nozzle. Not the turning nozzle.

+1

test results

Just went for a test run. I can say for sure there were NO ill effects. In fact it was an improvement. I feel like with the turn nozzle internal side to side width increased, the steering was less twitchy with the slightest initial movement of the bars but the steering response is the same after the initial slight input. An improvement in my opinion but it's only slightly noticeable. As for top end speed, there was NO reduction. I actually set my personal best top speed. Before my best was 88.8 mph with 1/4 tank and cool weather. Today with 3/4 tank and warm weather I recorded 89.0 @ 9180 rpm. That was with the trim in the neutral position. One notch above neutral trim was 88.7 and one notch below neutral trim was 87.0. So that tells me I have things dialed in pretty good as far as ride plate, nozzle and trim.

Now I can't give all the credit to just one change. I think adjusting the trim so it aligns with neutral and opening the inner sides of the turn nozzle helped. But I also routed the air ducts directly in front of my Macsboost air filter so it gets cleaner/cooler air charge.

I have a couple new things to try but I'm happy with how she's running so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0422.PNG 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	449778   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0423.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	449779   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0400.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	449780  

7. +1 by:

DYI nozzle alignment tool

Great write up!! I can say my 15 fz stock with scom went from 74.x to 76.x (all gps and consistent) due to a nozzle alignment fix

Thread Information