Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Polaris Virage Leaking

Hello,
    My Polaris Virage 01 is leaking through the drive shaft Bering housing. One of the seals that is on the engine side came off along with one of the hose clamps. Is there anyway to fix this by myself, or do you have to take everything out to replace it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0745BD5F-C88E-41A7-955D-ACF186EC6C6A.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	449725  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    This is a common repair. The through hull driveshaft seal assembly is a wear item and eventually needs to be rebuilt.

Click my signature link, then look in the jet pump section for details on the parts needed.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

Remove the jet pump (don’t break the LONG bolts that hold it in) [I]and remove the driveshaft
    Remove the through-hull seal assembly.

Inspect the driveshaft for wear or damage in the area where the through-hull sits
    Replace driveshaft if the surface is badly grooved or damaged
    Also inspect the splines at both ends, look for wear or damage

Inspect the jet pump for any signs of bearing noise when turning the impeller by hand, check for bearing play or slop.
    You can remove the jet pump tail cone and directly inspect for signs of water entry.

Tip: point the tail cone down towards the ground while you wiggle it out. Otherwise trapped water can fall inside the bearing housing, where it should not be.

Purchase new seals and new bushings.
    Remove the old seals
    Drive out the old bushing (I will assume they are worn)

Install new bushings
    Install new seals

Lightly grease the new seals before reinstalling the assembly in the hull.

Reinstall drive shaft and jet pump.

If you are uncomfortable doing the work, a local machine shop can remove the old and install the new bushings and seals. They can probably also order the parts, using the info provided in my link.

Do I need any special tools to do this job?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlson11 View Post
    Do I need any special tools to do this job?
    Depends on what you might call special.

Read up on the process, then decide if you have the tools to do the job.

Something to drive the old bushings out, and drive the new bushings in. Accurately sized OD deep sockets and a careful eye might be enough, with a nice hammer or mechanical press to ease the bushings along.

Similar for the seals. Key is to not damage the bushings or the seals as you push them into position. They are friction fit.
    Last edited by K447; 06-19-2019 at 09:45 PM.

+1
    I'd avoid utilizing a hammer to drive in a replacement bushing. The likelihood of deforming the bushing is great. If you don't have a press, take it to an automotive machine shop (many parts store have a machine shop) and have them press it in.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    check the driveshaft condition.i've got a very good shaft and roller watcon seal carrier i'd sell

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    I'd avoid utilizing a hammer to drive in a replacement bushing. The likelihood of deforming the bushing is great. If you don't have a press, take it to an automotive machine shop (many parts store have a machine shop) and have them press it in.
    I often use my bench vise (and blocks of wood to avoid damaging the part) as a press for driving in or out things like this.

I got it all out it was fairly easy. Everything looks pretty good. I will attach a picture of the housing, but it looks different than the ones that are online. What is the correct one to order?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3A49BD3D-8C49-4087-9935-C1D52DA6123A.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	449979  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlson11 View Post
    I got it all out it was fairly easy. Everything looks pretty good. I will attach a picture of the housing, but it looks different than the ones that are online. What is the correct one to order?
    That is a genuine Polaris through-hull bushing. Looks a tad short, so it may be the variant originally from a Genesis model. Just fine to use in a Virage or other model.

OEM are no longer available new. What you are seeing ‘online’ might be aftermarket. Those have steel bearing inside rather than sintered bushing. The steel bearing works ok but it absolutely must be kept well greased. If not cared for the steel will rust and fail.

What I recommend is rebuilding the OEM rather than installing steel aftermarket

Alright I need some more help, I got the leak all fixed up (thanks for the help). But now she won’t run. I just rebuilt the carb and put in all new fuel lines because they had the old tempo ones still on. It turns over but can’t even get a pop. The battery is fully charged but I feel like it could either be the spark plugs or bad gas or something that I have no idea about. So if anyone has any suggestions it would be great because I just spent a whole day trying to get the thing to run and ended up disappointed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information