Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

750 SLT sitting for 15 years...worth fixing?

Hello everyone, new member and first post here. Long story short I came into possession of a 1995 SLT 750 that has been sitting since 2004. When it was last used it ran fine with no problems. I got it for free from the original owner and it has very low hours. This is my first ski and I know very little about them but I am mechanically inclined and have much experience working with ATVís and motorcycles etc.

I was wondering first and foremost is it worth it to spend several hundred dollars cleaning it up and getting it running since I didnít pay for it? At the very least it will need a battery, plugs, carb clean/rebuild, fuel tanks cleaned, new fuel lines, trailer needs new tires etc.

Looking for some tips and insight from experienced owners. Thanks in advance.

+1
    Welcome to GH!
    Only you can determine if it's worth restoring. Are you going to use it? Do you want to flip it?

The '95 SLT 750 is a great first ski! I have 3 of them and love them. It's a comfortable, stable, dry-riding 2 adult seater (3 seater technically, but tight and more tipsy when not moving)... that can tow a tube and is light enough to easily tow and move around on a trailer by hand (compared to the more modern heavy skis. It is most closely compared to the modern SeaDoo spark).

That said, all the things you listed will need done. Carbs cleaned/rebuilt... replace old single-outlet fuel pump with better 3-outlet fuel pump (some replumbing needed)... fuel lines replaced... oil lines replaced(inspected)... fuel tanks cleaned... new battery. But assuming it ran fine years ago... no reason it shouldn't run well again and give you years of trouble free fun.

When you're ready to dive in... spend some time reading all the info gathered at this link. You'll focus on the info specific to the blue engine (Fuji) SLT 750.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Welcome to GH!
    Only you can determine if it's worth restoring. Are you going to use it? Do you want to flip it?

The '95 SLT 750 is a great first ski! I have 3 of them and love them. It's a comfortable, stable, dry-riding 2 adult seater (3 seater technically, but tight and more tipsy when not moving)... that can tow a tube and is light enough to easily tow and move around on a trailer by hand (compared to the more modern heavy skis. It is most closely compared to the modern SeaDoo spark).

That said, all the things you listed will need done. Carbs cleaned/rebuilt... replace old single-outlet fuel pump with better 3-outlet fuel pump (some replumbing needed)... fuel lines replaced... oil lines replaced(inspected)... fuel tanks cleaned... new battery. But assuming it ran fine years ago... no reason it shouldn't run well again and give you years of trouble free fun.

When you're ready to dive in... spend some time reading all the info gathered at this link. You'll focus on the info specific to the blue engine (Fuji) SLT 750.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

Cheers!
    Thanks for the link lots of good info there. Yes it seems it would be worth it if thereís nothing major wrong with it, I would like to keep it and use it if it runs well and is reliable. I have a pretty large freshwater lake 10mins from the house so this would make a great starter ski like you said. My biggest concern is that the garage that it has been sitting in for the last 15 years is extremely damp and humid and pretty much everything else in there was a pile of rust. The ski doesnít show any external signs of rust but Iím unsure of the bearings, cylinder walls and other internal parts of the engine. I guess I will take a closer look when I get it out of there which I canít even do until I get some tires on the trailer.

+1
    Personally, I'd say nope. A ski sitting up for 15 years, I suspect was never winterized Wouldn't be economical unless you just wanted to chalk it up to hobby costs. I think you'll be into the ski for much more than it will ever be worth. You'll probably find the rings are fused to cylinder walls. But..... See if you can turn engine over by wrench with plugs out. Then put a battery on it and see if it will turn over and check compression. After that start dishing out the money.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    only if it was kept in a garage next to a 68 GTO and covered.

otherwise, you're going to #findwood

#OakIsland

to be clear, it's a moneypit looking for a victim

don't be that guy

the MFD if it is in working order will get you a couple of hundred, along with any parts that can be salvaed ( like the ignaition box)

good advice?

put some injector oil down the jugs
    next day throw a battery in it and check engine compression and spark.

if it sparks, you got some money
    if engine compression is over 100 per jug, you got some more money

of course depending on your dump fees..maybe not so much money

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Where are you located?

I love them and very worth it to me.

I'd like another one

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ1286 View Post
    but I am mechanically inclined and have much experience working with ATV’s and motorcycles etc.
    If true, you already know the answer.

Links to tech data are in K447's info.

I picked up a 95 slt that had been sititng for 10 years for $250 with a trailer. I put about 300 dollars into it after new fuel pump, lines carb kit and battery. I have been running mine for 3 yesrs with no issues and I wont get mad when my kids sink it in a lake....ha

So I haven't had any real time to work on it yet but I hit the ski with the pressure washer quick and cleaned it up a bit and it looks pretty good. Also got some more info, it was not exactly winterized or stored properly as there is still fuel in it but the battery was removed, the MFD at least partially works, the speedo was not working but the hour meter was and apparently it only had 110 hours on it when it was last used in 2004. I got a new battery for it so far, will order the carb rebuild kit and see what I can do with it. Ill try to post updates for anyone interested.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Where are you located?

I love them and very worth it to me.

I'd like another one
    Orange County, NY

Quote Originally Posted by captainkeene View Post
    I picked up a 95 slt that had been sititng for 10 years for $250 with a trailer. I put about 300 dollars into it after new fuel pump, lines carb kit and battery. I have been running mine for 3 yesrs with no issues and I wont get mad when my kids sink it in a lake....ha
    Thats pretty much what I was hoping, put a few $ into it and a little work and get a year or 2 or whatever I can out of it and if something happens to it no big deal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski pic 2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	451209  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information