Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you handle taking just one ski out?

For those of you with 2 skis that call a double trailer home, what do you do with the extra ski if youíre just taking one out? I use both frequently enough that I donít want to bother unloading an 800 lbs machine and trying to find room for it in my garage, much less even know how to unload it. Do you lock it to the trailer? If so, how?

+1
    Two options:

1. Chain it to the trailer with a good lock and put a wheel lock on the trailer.

2. Transfer the ski to a maintenance cart.

Would it be sufficient to just lock the trailer to the vehicle? That might be easier than a chain type lock. It seems like lifting it without machinery would be out of the question.

+1
    Why take it off the trailer? Is the launch that you use that bad that someone would steel the unused ski off the trailer while you ride?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SandMan234 View Post
    For those of you with 2 skis that call a double trailer home, what do you do with the extra ski if youíre just taking one out?

I use both frequently enough that I donít want to bother unloading an 800 lbs machine and trying to find room for it in my garage, much less even know how to unload it.

Do you lock it to the trailer? If so, how?
    There have been several informative threads in the past regarding securing watercraft, and the trailer. Have a look in the towing and trailers forum on GH.

Security is a tiered thing, levels of protection (and hassle) must be matched to the expected theft/vandalism risk and the value of the watercraft (and the trailer).

Myself and others have also posted how to move a PWC from trailer to shop cart. We often transfer skis to and from the trailer. Quite straightforward with two people but can be done with just one. One tip is to apply Liquid Rollers bunk spray to the trailer, makes it much easier to slide the dry hull.

+1
    If someone wants your stuff bad enough they will find a way to steal it. Insure it against theft.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    If someone wants your stuff bad enough they will find a way to steal it. Insure it against theft.
    The trick is to make yours more difficult to steal, than the guy parked next to you. lol

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SandMan234 View Post
    Would it be sufficient to just lock the trailer to the vehicle? That might be easier than a chain type lock. It seems like lifting it without machinery would be out of the question.
    IMO, no.

Think of the opening available on the hitch that would accommodate a pad lock. It doesn't allow for a very sturdy/beefy lock.

Wouldn't take much effort to break the lock and attach the trailer with ski to another vehicle.

Using a wheel lock would provide a bit more deterrence.

Also, chaining the ski to the trailer would deter someone pulling up with an empty trailer and transferring the ski onto theirs.

If it's something you think you'd be doing often, I'd recommend placing the ski on a maintenance cart and not have to worry about it.

+1
    I had the same concerns. I used to keep my skis on a double trailer, but most of the time one stayed on the trailer while I rode. My skis are insured for loss, so I was more concerned with someone helping themselves to a seat or storage bucket or battery than losing the whole ski. Either way, I didn't want to deal with the hassle.

I tried moving skis between trailers, but that gets old real fast. Next, I had both skis on single trailers and was making two trips to the ramp when needed. The ramp is less than 2 miles away, so it wasn't too bad for the few times I needed the second ski.

At the end of last season, I picked up the Karavan single/double trailer setup. So far, I've only towed them as singles. But now that it's starting to warm up, I'm sure I'll get the opportunity to trailer both skis together. It looks like an easy solution. Stay tuned.

Thanks for all the replies, I normally launch from a park that has security and a check in booth and we don’t have much theft in the finger lakes anyway. In the past I’ve just been using a padlock, the best I can find that will fit the narrow hitch hole, but may consider a wheel lock in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information