Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help choosing a used ski

Gentlemen.....I'm casually looking around for a used Yamaha ski. I'd like something with no power adders (Naturally aspirated), which would get good fuel efficiency and range but not be a total dog that will hardly get out of it's own way. I'd prefer a hull with a comfortable ride that is good for cruising long distance, a 3 seat configuration. A good power to weight ratio but not beat you to death on choppy water as well a solid reliable model. I know......it's a goldilocks pipe dream but I have no idea where to start looking. What Yamaha models should I focus on searching for that might fit that criteria? Oh.....almost forgot.....I'd like a 4 stroke engine as well. I have enough 2 strokes!!

+1
    FX HO 1800cc job done

Nice. Are they still making them or is that a year model that's in the past?

+1
    Any unit from 2009-2019 the 2019 is a new hull, the hull changed in 2014 too so you have 09-14 style or 15-18 style (have ride and same hull as SVHO in your signature ) the all new 19 hull is the current model.

you could also look for a VXR if you wanted a ski more like the gp1300 in signature (and probably as fast)

AWESOME!!! I love my GPR!! Runs about 68-69 by gps or radar. I also love that dad burn FX SVHO. Very cool bells and whistles on that. Especially like the neutral and reverse features. Cruise control is great for cruising when it's rough!! In a drag race they are both neck and neck! It's as fast as I want to go now that I'm getting to be an older fart. Thanks HDAV!!!

+1
    The fx ho will be 65 ish with a couple of basic mods (I recommend a deans team tune a repitched prop) the VXR 68 (with similar mods) as lighter shallower hull not as many bells and whistles the HO motor runs on normal pump gas too

+1
    If price is not a concern for you, then go get you a 2019 FXHO Cruiser. It has the new hull and is scary fast! Lots of cool stuff comes standard, too. If your budget won't allow it, then get a used FXHO Cruiser 2015 or newer. You can find a few around with low hours and thousands less then new. My 2cents.......

+1
    Don’t overlook a VX Cruiser HO either. I just sold one and bet you can find used for about 8k. Mine was a 2016.

however, the 2019 FX is superior in every way. If you don’t want new, don’t ride one and you will never know the difference

Price is always a factor. The new FX SVHO and GP1800R are hard to overlook. However, I wasn't really looking for new. I was kinda looking for a spare to go with my 1996 Wave venture 3 seater, but a 4 stroke. Since my 2003 GPR has had a small number of improvements (mods) it's plenty fast for me and has a decent ride. Out of the hole it has tremendous torque and pull, almost as much as the supercharged FX SVHO. The 2018 FX SVHO is an awesome machine and will go just as fast as my mildly modded GP 1300R but is much more comfortable for cruising. I will say that I don't like the seat on the FX SVHO. I wish the seat configuration was a little more old skool 3 seater or like my 2003 GPR. So.....my thinking was a comfortable machine with decent power and not a lot of wrench turning needed or required to keep maintained. Mine stay holed up in the safety of the garage most of the time but when we go sometimes we have quite a few friends that want to go as well. Daughter has friends too. I hate leaving anybody out or sitting on the shore. I should just rent a pontoon boat for those times I guess. I may come to that after I crunch some numbers and talk with the wife about what she thinks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information