Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2000 Challenger Starting/No Crank Issue

Started my starboard engine very briefly, about 10 seconds actual run time. When I tried to crank it again it wouldn't crank, and neither will the port engine. All connections in both boxes are clean and tight. No blown fuses, including the main fuses. I am not getting any power to starter solenoids. I'm also not getting any beeps when the tether is connected to the post. Battery is brand new. I have the shop manual and am good with electrical diagnostics but the DESS systems seem to have issues so I'm wondering if that's a good place to start testing.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I suspect you have a blown fuse. at times the breaks on those fuses can only be detected with a meter. check for power at the fusebox. possible the main battery cable has corrosion too.

Hey Pete, thanks for response. Shouldn't I be hearing a beep when I put the tether on the post ?

+1
    normally yes, of course with a mainline power problem you will not.

will the bilge blower operate?

Will have to check that Pete

Pete I replaced both 20 amp main fuses (and removed some seriously globbed grease from the holders). I replaced the 2 5 amp MPEM fuses and the 3 amp one in the upper block. I also used some Wurth OL cleaned on the tether and DESS post and now everything is back to normal. Unfortunately the starter for my port motor is just spinning the bendix and needs to be replaced. Can you recommend a good brand please ? Thanks for all the help so far !!

+1
    i typically will replace the bendix if its an oem starter in good shape. Its about a 5 out of ten on the difficulty scale. Its a job you only want to do once on a boat.

I've used aftermarket bendix without issue. pick a source. I'm a bit picky on starter mots as I said, I don't want to do it twice, so whoever is paying, will typically have to go with an OEM replacement if they manage to damage theirs by doing a 90 second crank and pray till the battery dies, when the problem all along was they forgot to turn the fuel on..

+1
    X 2 on OEM starters only !!

New DB starter installed. Went to crank it and got nothing, battery was down so I charged it back up. Still nothing. Pulled the lanyard and cycled thru 5 starter button activations. Put lanyard back on and wiggled it. Got engines to crank again. Is my DESS post on it's way out or ?? Not getting any beep codes either ??

+1
    if your buzzer is in operating condition, you should get two quick beeps when the key is installed. check the inside of the key for damage , clean the post with a green sink scrubee and try again. if you have a shop pickup magnet, run it around the outside of the switch to see if you get a beep. You can try spraying some wd-40 into the buzzer if it isn't opearting..sometimes that works

Post failures are pretty common on anything more then 6 years old. the little magnetic switch inside the post fails and then the key isn't read

post are cheap enough and its a weekend killer. I always have a couple in stock along with starter solenoids and regulators for 4-tecs, just to give folks a chance of not blowing up their "weekend at the lake"

aftermarket posts are cheaper and most folks wire them in anyway, as dealing with the connectors is for the purists among us. Just make sure your splices are watertight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information