What chargers/disconnects are you using for your batteries?

I have two '03 Virages and am sick of pulling the batteries out to charge them at the end of season (Deka EXT-16L). I'm looking to permanently put a charger pigtail across both terminals for use with a tender when out of the water. Here's two of the tenders I'm currently looking at:

12V 1.1A Tender

12V 0.75 Tender

I'm also looking to add some kind of quick negative disconnect as the displays are always on when the battery is connected (really dumb). I'm thinking to just put a disconnect key switch in series on the negative terminal using the following with an intermediate jumper wire. Up for other suggestions!

HELLA Battery Key Switch

2 AWG Jumper Wire

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I have posted previously about battery maintenance, chargers and the use of polarized charger pigtail leads. Lots of info available.

I install pigtail charging plugs on all my watercraft. Makes it quick and easy to charge the batteries in the hull. No need to disconnect anything.

Battery Tender is a widely recognized brand, and I do not have anything bad to say about actual Battery Tender products. Off brand chargers I have no information regarding how carefully they manage the battery float voltage, which can affect battery longevity.

AGM batteries have specific float voltage requirements, which differ from traditional lead-acid batteries.

I have and use products from BatteryMinder, particularly their CEC128 8 amp smart charger. I use Deka ETX sealed AGM batteries in all my watercraft.

The Virage MFI display uses very little battery power when sleeping, the battery drain duration would be multiple months. Years ago I measure the parasitic drain current for the smaller Polaris MFD display, and may also have posted numbers for the MFI.

If you keep a battery maintainer connected and AC powered during extended storage there is no need for a battery disconnect switch.

I would advise not installing a battery disconnect switch. That is a heavy current device directly in the primary battery circuit. It must be robustly mounted and the added wire must be properly installed. Any problems with the disconnect switch have the potential to strand the watercraft on the water or possibly create a fire risk if a short wire to occur.

Simply unplugging the Deutsch connector from from the back of the MFI display would prevent any power drain through the display, and also prevent engine cranking.

Tip: If you feel you must install a battery disconnect switch, install it inline with the battery negative wire, not the positive. That way should the disconnect switch or the attached wires accidentally make contact with any part of the grounded engine or other metal inside the hull, no sparks will occur.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I have posted previously about battery maintenance, chargers and the use of polarized charger pigtail leads. Lots of info available.

I install pigtail charging plugs on all my watercraft. Makes it quick and easy to charge the batteries in the hull. No need to disconnect anything.

Battery Tender is a widely recognized brand, and I do not have anything bad to say about actual Battery Tender products. Off brand chargers I have no information regarding how carefully they manage the battery float voltage, which can affect battery longevity.

AGM batteries have specific float voltage requirements, which differ from traditional lead-acid batteries.

I have and use products from BatteryMinder, particularly their CEC128 8 amp smart charger. I use Deka ETX sealed AGM batteries in all my watercraft.

The Virage MFI display uses very little battery power when sleeping, the battery drain duration would be multiple months. Years ago I measure the parasitic drain current for the smaller Polaris MFD display, and may also have posted numbers for the MFI.

If you keep a battery maintainer connected and AC powered during extended storage there is no need for a battery disconnect switch.

I would advise not installing a battery disconnect switch. That is a heavy current device directly in the primary battery circuit. It must be robustly mounted and the added wire must be properly installed. Any problems with the disconnect switch have the potential to strand the watercraft on the water or possibly create a fire risk if a short wire to occur.

Simply unplugging the Deutsch connector from from the back of the MFI display would prevent any power drain through the display, and also prevent engine cranking.

Tip: If you feel you must install a battery disconnect switch, install it inline with the battery negative wire, not the positive. That way should the disconnect switch or the attached wires accidentally make contact with any part of the grounded engine or other metal inside the hull, no sparks will occur.

Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure if it was OK to run a tender without disconnecting the negative if I have the always-on MFI display. I'd be less opposed to simply disconnecting the neutral if the battery wasn't bracketed and buried under the EMM box, hence looking into easier disconnect switches.

Thread Information