Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2008 RXP-X High/Surging Idle

Trying to troubleshoot this (new to me) 2008 RXP. I test drove with the guy I bought it from and it seemed to run pretty well at the time. Now at home the ski idles around 2300 and after 5-10 seconds will surge up to about 4200 until I turn it off (on the trailer). On the water the ski seems to bog down when I go wide open throttle. The only things I've done from when I bought it until today are

- Replace broken reverse cable
    - Change Oil
    - Changed owner name/reset service hours via Candoo

Super charger was rebuilt last year. Where do I start troubleshooting this? Tomorrow I'm going to drain the gas and refill fresh, change the plugs, hook up the Candoo to see if it's throwing any faults. Anything else I should check first?
    Last edited by livefromheaven; 06-14-2019 at 10:12 PM.

+1
    Sounds like a possible vacuum leak.

Wouldn't a vacuum leak cause it to surge right away on startup? Why does it happen so consistently after 10 seconds or so? I'll look into it tomorrow though and grab a video to post here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by livefromheaven View Post
    Wouldn't a vacuum leak cause it to surge right away on startup? Why does it happen so consistently after 10 seconds or so? I'll look into it tomorrow though and grab a video to post here.
    I was going to say either a vacuum leak or issue with the throttle body.

+1
    is there a bit of slack in the throttle cable at the TB? If it too tight the engine cannot find idle and will run poorly. Check and be sure its against the throttle stop when the lever is released. DO NOT adjust the throttle stop.
    Does the Cando say the throttle is adjusted correctly?

Update: Changed the oil, plugs, and drained the old gas & added fresh 91. Bogging and top speed problems are gone and runs really well overall. High idle remains (3000RPM or so).

I've found that if I manually twist the butterfly back it will get back down to ~1900 or so - does that eliminate a vacuum leak? Does that point to the throttle cable being too tight, or does the ECU pull the cable back a bit on startup? Anything need to be greased down there? I'll check the Candoo tomorrow. Youtube video:

+1
    Yes, throttle cable needs adjusting. This is a strictly mechanical linkage to the throttle lever. No ECU involved.

Thanks, I'll loosen the adjustment a little. Would that be the nut in the picture?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXPThrottle.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	695.2 KB 
ID:	449772  
    Last edited by livefromheaven; 06-17-2019 at 11:34 PM.

+1
    Adjustment is done with the little nut and the plastic barrel on the cable. The big nuts are just mounts.
    Loosen the little nut and then rotate the barrel untill your throttle rests on the stop and then add a very little slack.
    Then tighen little nut, check its on the stop and that you get WOT when you pull the throttle on the handlebars
    Start it up should idle at 1850.+-100 rpm.

+1
    There's an idle air valve on the TB that controls how much air is let by the butterfly at idle. The second you crack the butterfly it has no bearing on the engine. If the butterfly is closed at idle the problem is the idle air valve. If you remove it and stick in your pink you should be able to get the engine idling properly by moving your finger up and down until it's idling good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information